Thread: Links

Banned

Links

Moderators there seems to be more and more links in threads to other sites for people to refer to photos etc. Most of the time these links are just directing traffic away from this site. Surely posting the photo is a better way.

It works both ways. Plenty of other sites via "links" link to this site.
    It is different if the image is not simply listed on a public domain sale site. Photographs are subject to copyright.
    I'm sure Blocker wouldn't be to impressed if all content from this site was STOLEN to display on another site to make it easier for people like you.

ebay, gumtree etc the people expect and most likely want the free exposure. On a private thread on a forum or website they don't expect or want you to steal their images, nor is it legal.

Personally, I use an iPad or phone for browsing and doing the copy or upload thing for photos is a pain in the arse. I know Gaddy's in the same boat too.

I hear both sides of the argument with this.

Its a very specific demographic the panel van community. Very much a love em or hate em type of deal. Yet at the same time, we are supporting one another. The upcoming Albury van show is being hosted by Majestic Vanners......and mySandman is sponsoring a couple trophies for the event. One of those is for 'Most popular Sandman' ..... so in essence, we are helping one another. I hope one day we could start our own "Sandman Nationals" yearly show and have Majestic Vanners come on board and sponsor a few trophies for us.

As for traffic being directed away.... yes and no. If you're a 'sandman' individual, you will always find yourself here at the end of the day .....and if you're more for custom builds, very likely your home base will be on another forum and will be led to this forum on the odd occasion the same way...someone posting a link from said forum. And it happens more often than you think!! People will always stick to where they feel most comfortable and where they feel their loyalties are.

Does that mean putting eBay/gumtree links up means its directing traffic away? No...no it doesn't. It all becomes a reference point for the topic at hand.

Its been a challenge getting people used to posting pics from a host site. For some people, its a totally new process to learn and come to deal with. Its been many months since the change come into play.....and at least once a week, the mod team (and a few helpful members) are going over it with them ...again...and again...and again. But for the greater good, it had to be done. Thus making the point of posting a pic instead of the link becomes a nightmare. I wish it were more simple.

Hope that eases any stress you may be feeling on the matter. But if there is something that concerns you.....the mod team are here for that reason.....so just let us know.

Thread Information