Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandman or optioned van?

Learner Driver

Sandman or optioned van?

G'day I've recently put a deposit on what I thought was a tidy HJ panelvan.
    After checking out the Compliance and VIN plates I'm wondering the possibility of it being a little more than just a tidy mock up.
    Plate details are
    Model HJ8WM70
    Body # 148712-1A
    Trim 1888-64V
    Paint 568-15951
    Eng L32 Trans M40 RRaxle GU7

VIN 8M70REL307316J

Date 08/75 Chassis#? BHJ3223OA
    GVW 2200Kg. Seating capacity 2

Any clues from somebody in the know would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers Ricky Bell

Cruiser
    I have recorded this previously as not having a matching ADR plate the date 'should be' 4/75 and the chassis no. around BHJ20000A. Could you pass on what the actual chassis no. is?

Being Cotillion White with a Vinyl Gazelle interior makes me think its likely to bs a nicely optioned plumbers van. Not saying it is or isn't a Sandman but that colour combo wouldn't get a serious collector too excited. You may have to check for the headlining brackets and console mounts. Does it have all the GTS gear?

Learner Driver
    Yeah sure, I won't be viewing the van until the end of the month. I don't quite understand what you mean by matching ADR plate, Does that mean the plates have been mixed and matched?

Yep. Someone may have put on a plate with 2seat capacity.
    Check the actual chassis number against the one on the plate. Have a good look at the rivets holding the plates on too and any evidence of plates having been removed.

Mr jones and HK have databases of numbers that show approximately what body number should match what chassis number and date. Thee could have been an anomaly in the assembly process or plates/ chassis have been changed to make it look more like a Sandman.

Sandman Guru
    I have the car too, chassis number should be BHJ204xxA. It was 253 auto with 2.78: LSD originally. Chassis number off the rails would be very useful.

Learner Driver
    OK, I'm not viewing the van until end of the month, I'll fill you guys in on the # off the chassis rails, as far as I can see from the pictures I've been sent it has a GTS dash and steering wheel, and I've been told that there's factory centre console brackets and some mount thing up the back that the hoodlining attaches to, also the courtesy lights in the foot wells. It has what appear to be the GTS rims as well. I have noted that it doesn't have GTS Flutes in the guards though. All in all I'm stoked real sandman or fake I'm sure its something I'm never gonna sell so other peoples values mean little to me.

Learner Driver
    oops hope that last bit doesn't sound arrogant, I definitely appreciate you guys sharing your knowledge with me. I was happy when I thought it was a mock up, so I'm not gonna be unhappy if its confirmed. I'm curious about the legality of the plates being swapped like that though, does that make the van somehow unregisterable? It is currently registered would dept of transport pick up on such things?

Quote Originally Posted by bRick666 View Post
    oops hope that last bit doesn't sound arrogant,
    Quite the opposite mate, that last bit is the attitude to have. You're buying it for you, not for resale value. If you're buying at a mockup price then you can't loose. Good on ya.
    If its currently registered with those numbers hen there shouldn't be any hassle. I doubt that rego authorities even look at those tags on these cars, they use the chassis number on the rail s the identifier.

Thread Information