HX Xu3 Sandman?

Could this be an XU3 sandman?

GVW of 2200
    8WM80XR
    TRIM 1916-67V
    PAINT 368-17777
    L32 M20 GV7
    8M80RGH9.....X

I didn't think any HX sandies had a GVW of 2200kg? You could only get HX with 67A trim, not 67V?
    Last edited by Kyuss; 02-08-2013 at 09:18 PM. Reason: typos

Sandman Guru
    Could be. 67V is correct for HX. 2200kg is correct for HX V8 Sandman but also for HX V8 ute and van..

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Could be. 67V is correct for HX. 2200kg is correct for HX V8 Sandman but also for HX V8 ute and van..
    In the same way that only acacia ridge have xx7 stamped, did only acacia ridge do the Xu3 stamp?

The HX Id guide page on this site seems to say HX sandman utes, v8 or 6 cyl, will only have a 1860 GVW? The HJ id page allows for GVW of 2200?

If it is a genuine sandman it must be an xu3 not XX7 I guess

Sandman Guru
    Correct only Acacia Ridge stamped special vehicle package codes.
    If it is a Sandman it is an XU3

Thinking of making an offer on this ute if I can confirm its genuine....is there any other info I can check or provide to determine if its the real deal? I know the original glovebox lid is gone so no help there.

Sandman Driver
    Hi Kyuss,

I am an amateur at vehicle identification, but I understand the discussion above as to how it could be XU3. I do have some older info from a now unavailable website saved on my hard drive about Sandmans, and I had a look through, but found nothing extra.

Maybe, an off base suggestion might be to look to see if there is any evidence left in the vehicles paintwork.

e.g.; the insides of the top door frames around the windows and cabin, under the door seals, bottom of the door frame under the scuff plate, undersides of the sills where they face the road, etc, you might get signs of original paint, under the existing that may have chipped off, or under/around screws/fasteners.
    It is probably a long shot, but you just might find something obvious.

Without the tyre placard (which is so easily interchanged with the glovebox anyway) it could provide a hint. Around the tail gate hinges etc (you'd be looking for blackouts mostly). Maybe worth a real thorough look? (not in the rain of course).

I'm prepared to get a canning for this here, (lol) as it lends the suggestion that a vehicle otherwise unidentifiable as a Sandman or not, could be considered more so just due to black outs, which have been applied at any stage, but, sometimes, with some vehicles, the original factory work is markedly evident from that of the re-sprayer that came afterward, sometimes of course not the case.

HK ?
    Last edited by SLR_dave; 03-08-2013 at 04:43 AM.

Sandman Guru
    THere is nothing uniaue about a HX XU3 ute. Not even the tyre placard. As Dave says evidence of paint or stripe remnants is all that will help.

Thanks HK and SLR, still concerned about 2200gvw and it being HX - wasn't early HJ the latest sandman ute that had GVW of 2200 or have I got this wrong?

Sandman Guru
    You've got it wrong. 4850lb (HQ) or 2200kg (HJ-HZ) was ALWAYS the GVW for a V8 Sandman from start to finish. Only the 10/75 onwards XX7's had a lower GVW.

At least being a Pagewood HX ute you'll know if the body is original to the tags by the plant tracking number on the firewall. But I don't think there will ever be any way you will know for certain if it is a Sandman or not.

Thanks HK, it seems the xx7 sandman utes that state 1860 GVW are a better option to go for.

Thread Information