Thread: My 1978 HZ Ute Respray/Interior change

P Plater

My 1978 HZ Ute Respray/Interior change

G'day Guys, though I'd start a thread for my 1978 HZ ute. My name is Will, I'm just on my Dad Doug's account haha. This Ute is nothing special, not a Sandman, not even anywhere near a Sandman, just your average run of the mill HZ ute. I bought her in 2011 when I was 14 for $3,200 (probably a little over price) and decided that I would make her into something a little bit more snazzy. It's my 16th Birthday tomorrow, and the ute is coming along nicely. I have taken the bonnet, doors and guards off, taken them back to bare metal and put primer on them. I have also taken the back window, bench seat and old carpet out. Recently I have been doing a fair bit of spending, getting parts together, and trying to sell the 202 sitting in her at the moment, to make way for a nice little 253 I plan to put in it. Unfortunately I dont have a picture of what it was like when i purchased it, but I think you can tell from the photos I have what it was basically like. It was perfectly fine as it was, but I wanted to have a bit of a project haha. My plans are to get it sprayed in either Mandarin Red, Nocturne Blue or Windsor Blue, and change the interior to 19v trim, bucket seats, GTS dash, centre console, GTS steering wheel, and put a 253 with extractors and twin system in it. Hope you like my ute, the progress (which is yet to be made really) and the thread.

[IMG][/IMG]
    This is the as it sits now, minus back window and original vinyl

The guards in bare metal. They were in pretty good condition. It looked as though there had been a bit of a dent in one at some stage, but had been panel beated out and a thin layer of bog put over the top, my spray painter/panel beater will fix that up again for me

The bonnet was really straight, with only one tiny spot of bog.

Since this is the first time I have ever done this, I don't know if this is good or bad or what? But i thought it looked pretty good? This is the bonnet.

These will be replaced by a set of 14x8 GTS rims.

This is basically the interior of the ute when I bought it, for a while I was considering just taking out the carpet, replacing the carpet and getting the seat re-trimmed, it would have been a perfect Kingswood interior if I had. Instead I'll get it painted black and make it a GTS interior.

The 202 in it at the moment. A very very nice motor, purred along nicely at 80k's. Again I was contemplating leaving the 202 in it, but decided I wanted to add a little extra value to my ute, and also give it a little more power.

That's pretty much all I have to share for a little while. I will put up more photos as I get them. Thanks for looking

It's a rockin'
    Excellent work but with the P plate laws can you drive it with a V8 in it ?

P Plater
    I'm in Tasmania, so its all good here

Cruiser
    G'day Will,

Looks like a good project,
    you can usually tell the condition of a car by the interior and that looks very neat for a 35 year old ute.
    Happy Birthday for tomorrow too dude.

Cheers Mark

Cruiser
    Hi Will. I am impressed with your work. I like the 202 and think you should reconsider the bench seat which was actually very nice in my first car (HT ute), The only time I didn't like the bench seat was when I'd have 2 mates in the ute with me and we would go cruising in the city and the idiot on the passages side would bend down so not to be seen. Wasn't a good look for boys from the country.

P Plater
    Thanks, Haha I bet, I'm from the country as well, I can see where you're coming from

bench seats rock! nice straight looking ute dude. good progress and sweet pics
    BQZ

Thread Information