Thread: 253 trimatic in HX will not idle when put in gear... Help!

253 trimatic in HX will not idle when put in gear... Help!

Hi all,
    i know some of you think that people that dont own a sandman shouldnt be posting on here but i need some help with my kingswood and i hope someone here might be able to help me...

anyway ive been trying to get the motor in my HX running sweet with the 2 bbl that replaced the 4 bbl but it wont idle when i put it in drive or reverse. I hooked up a little tacho and in park it revs over 1200(limit of my tacho) but when i drop it in gear it dies.. if i rev it a bit when i put it in gear it will stay running and idle at about 650 RPM with no pedal... so whats going on?

Thanks, Mark

mark i think anyone who likes sandmans is welcome here and i think all of the members would probably agree....
    anyhow your problem,at 1200 rpm when you drop it on gear it should take off like a scalded cat...are you sure the tacho is right?

Quote Originally Posted by mark_23 View Post
    Hi all,
    i know some of you think that people that dont own a sandman shouldnt be posting on here...
    Hi Mark I am disappointed to read that there may be a perception out there that non Sandman owners are not welcome here.
    By all means anyone and everyone is welcome here at mysandman.com.au and most welcome to post messages, questions and opinions.

If you or anyone else receives messages from members of this board indicating otherwise, I want to know about it.

I hope you will find this site useful in all aspects of your hobby and internet experience. Please feel free to enjoy your stay and post away.

Cheers.

Banned
    It dosnt worry me, I wouldnt have a clue on answering your question so I hadnt replied.....I dont have a clue on anything else I reply to either

I would be checking that the carby hasn't got a vacuum polution hose which could be leaking or not closed off....but generally this will make them run rough all the time....if you have to have it idleing at 1200 revs to keep it running, then there is something else wrong, maybe your carby or intake manifold is sucking in air around the gaskets....I am only builder not a mechanic....

and not to worry about what car you post, I had the audacity to put a GT Falcon, HQ tonner ute, and a Ferguson tractor on this site.....

Oh and these are words from Rodney, I wouldn't know

Leadfoot
    i think it has something to do with torque converter not working so engine stalls

Well i had a bit more of a tinker today, got it running a bit better, hopefully good enough to make it to the mechanic for a tune..

im pretty sure the tacho is correct, you can hear that its reving hard lol, i changed a few of the pollution hoses around and sorted some vac leaks.. didnt think of the torque convertor, only just finished putting the tranny back in and i really dont want to take it back out!

and in regards to not being welcome, its just from a few replys in some posts that i got the impression...

Cheers, Mark

[QUOTE=mark_23;4616]Hi all,
    i know some of you think that people that dont own a sandman shouldnt be posting on here but i need some help with my kingswood and i hope someone here might be able to help me...

anyway ive been trying to get the motor in my HX running sweet with the 2 bbl that replaced the 4 bbl but it wont idle when i put it in drive or reverse. I hooked up a little tacho and in park it revs over 1200(limit of my tacho) but when i drop it in gear it dies.. if i rev it a bit when i put it in gear it will stay running and idle at about 650 RPM with no pedal... so whats going on?

My guess is that your engine has poor vaccume, and i have diagnnosed a few 253's in the past at around the 300,000 km mark with valves that just don't seat correctly anymore, causing mildly poor vacuume.
    these motors wouldn't idle in gear, but fine in N or Park - same symptoms as yours..

if you own one of these cars and tinker yourself, a vacume guage is cheap and very useful.
    "All correspondence must bear these numbers"

Thread Information