Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the Sandman one of the hardest cars to sell???

Is the Sandman one of the hardest cars to sell???

i am finding that selling these is more trouble than its worth... so many tyre kickers.

i ended up giving the last HZ VALENCIA to my mate

anyone else had any simular experiences?
    "All correspondence must bear these numbers"

I would have given you $2500 for that

People are still thinking these are worth mega bucks (and some are) if they are restored, finished and ready to go.
    Or they are the most desirable model and in reasonable condition and basically complete.
    Most of the time they are overpriced junkers in need of major restoration and not worth the money being asked.

Like all cars there is only a certain market. At the moment '70's cars are a little more desirable because this generation are coming through and trying to buy "their" memories.
    This inflates prices, but is only relatively short lived. I have seen the same thing happen with early sixties and then late sixties cars. You watch them peak in price and then settle.

Just understand, it will soon be the '80's crap that is hot and wanted and the '70's stuff will cool off on price as the amount of people willing and wanting fades.

It is the memories of what they had or what they wanted and couldn't afford in the day that they are chasing. Not many actually want to or are capable of restoring.

Sandman Guru
    I've resisted advertising my red HK GTS327 for the same reason Adam, i'm not interested one iota in tyre kickers. Don't want them at my house or in my shed! It can sit there until a genuine person hears about it by word of mouth, or until I get bored with it being in my road and I either wreck it or put a 350 and TH350 I have here for it in it and make it driveable.

I'm with Innuendo on the perception of these, people think modified 253 Sandmans are worth $20k, they are simply not. The realists who want one want a 308 one and want it ready to go as they know even if they get a restorer for free it'll cost $30k to build it, especially if they want a van, utes are a bit easier to do as there is less to rust and less to get straight and repair/paint. Excepting a 308 HQ Sandman ute or van I can't see any Sandman other than the odd beautiful Survivor being worth over $25-$30k in today's $. Look at all the people who jumped in and paid big bucks for Aussie performance cars in the boom (like HO's, A9X's and GTS327's). You can buy the same cars now for in some cases half what they paid then. Sandmans are no different, just not as much to lose!

Just like the vk ss,as soon as brock died everyone wanted megabucks for there very average commodores the vh and vc are more reasonable, but they are still fairly average horse power wise.
    Last edited by buck; 20-06-2013 at 06:31 PM.
    Driver -1981 WB kingswood 253 4 speed
    Weekend- AC Cobra replica 302ho(425hp) 4 speed toploader
    Project Complete- SLR 5000 LH mock up(next door Neighbors)
    never late in a 5.0 litre

You are right i have thought about selling my HQ sandman due to lack of use, but then i think of all the phone calls from idiots wanting to look and then proceed to tell me its not genuine and THAT HQ sandman vans wernt belmonts BLA BLA BLA you all know what i mean, i think if i were to sell i would place it with Shannons and avoid all the crap from potential buyers or thieves !!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    I've resisted advertising my red HK GTS327 for the same reason Adam, i'm not interested one iota in tyre kickers. Don't want them at my house or in my shed! It can sit there until a genuine person hears about it by word of mouth, or until I get bored with it being in my road and I either wreck it or put a 350 and TH350 I have here for it in it and make it driveable.

I'm with Innuendo on the perception of these, people think modified 253 Sandmans are worth $20k, they are simply not. The realists who want one want a 308 one and want it ready to go as they know even if they get a restorer for free it'll cost $30k to build it, especially if they want a van, utes are a bit easier to do as there is less to rust and less to get straight and repair/paint. Excepting a 308 HQ Sandman ute or van I can't see any Sandman other than the odd beautiful Survivor being worth over $25-$30k in today's $. Look at all the people who jumped in and paid big bucks for Aussie performance cars in the boom (like HO's, A9X's and GTS327's). You can buy the same cars now for in some cases half what they paid then. Sandmans are no different, just not as much to lose!

Sandman Guru
    You don't want to do some sort of deal with a good restorable HK GTS327 do you!

Sandman Driver
    Yeh I dread the day I go to sell the HJ for the same very reason, tyre kickers, pin heads and know all's... I think I will just give it to the eldest daughter, why is it they are so hard to sell???

Most of the buyers aren't true enthusiasts. They're just looking to make a buck, or just looking to talk to anybody who'll listen. That's why they tend to piss you off. It's the exact same reason no-one else will talk to them either.

I would have thought that if you owned a VW at the moment you would have buckleys of selling that!

Thread Information