Thread: Holden workers asked to take a pay cut

Holden workers asked to take a pay cut

http://www.news.com.au/business/hold...-1226665581042

"The 1700 workers at the car assembly line in Elizabeth, South Australia and 300 at the engine plant in Port Melbourne will be asked to consider a wage cut of up to $200 per week - or not have a job beyond 2016 because Holden would be forced to shut its factories, coincidentally at the same time as Ford."

Thoughts?

Would you take a cut if you worked there??
    Last edited by Alien DNA; 18-06-2013 at 10:43 PM.

capitalizing on the fear struck by Ford?
    BQZ

I'll bet the upper management don't get a pay cut , if anything they'll get a payrise because of the $$ they save on the pay cuts to the workers..

It does suck, but the writing is now on the wall. The workers can now weigh up their options (with notice) and move on or take the pay cut.
    It's not like they have been tapped on the shoulder and told they finish up at the end of the week.

That said, the wife and I checked out the new VF at Bathurst Holden yesterday. They only had the SV6 and Calias in stock (two only VF's) and both were filthy dirty.
    Some aspects of the VF we liked and other bits left us cold. When we were told by the sales rep that the only exterior difference between the SV6 and SS was basically driving lights!
    We were not happy. We will want a Sportswagon (again) and will have to wait to see one.

The styling gap between models again is too small and appears Holden have failed to recognise this.
    The poverty pack (Evoke) vs the top of the range can be mistaken from more than a couple of dozen metres.

Beat me to it the top brass should take a pay cut not the factory workers

Cruiser
    I don't trust them. They might get pay cuts through now and short term reduce costs but as tax payer I'm tired of giving them, who knows, maybe $10,000 per commodore to stay in business, so when that rug gets pulled they'll be knacked anyway.

dont know why they keep saying bloody tax payer, how many times do you have to say tariffs on imported cars, why make us pay. make the importers pay on there crappy stuff that people mistake for being economical on fuel, but wait until you way up the cost of services and spare parts availability of these crappy imports.
    Driver -1981 WB kingswood 253 4 speed
    Weekend- AC Cobra replica 302ho(425hp) 4 speed toploader
    Project Complete- SLR 5000 LH mock up(next door Neighbors)
    never late in a 5.0 litre

Cruiser
    unions in this country (and many countries for that matter) have held businesses to ransom for far too long IMO.... When i lived in sydney I was the national distribution manager for a large company. the storeman that worked there were the highest paid in the country and the NUW gloated about how they had management by the nuts... how did they do it.... this company had 30,000 clients however 60% of its income came from just 200 clients.... whenever it was time to negotiate an eba... if they did not get their way... they would not send spare parts to these 200 clients... management after a few days would bend over and lube up after pressure from their key accounts threatenting to walk.... its a joke...

if the unions really cared about workers in this country they would stand on the docks and refuse to unload containers full of cheap rubbish that could be made here... take a $20 drill in bunnings for example.... there are probably 50 individual parts in the drill, they have to nicely package it and ship it half way around the world and sell it at a profit for $20.... the only person not making anything is the poor woorker getting a cup full of rice a day.... unions should demand that the overseas workers be paid at a much higer rate..... if nothing else the standard of living for overseas workers would improve...

Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    dont know why they keep saying bloody tax payer, how many times do you have to say tariffs on imported cars, why make us pay. make the importers pay on there crappy stuff that people mistake for being economical on fuel, but wait until you way up the cost of services and spare parts availability of these crappy imports.
    I'm with you. Australian products for Australians, made by in part, by Australians.

Thread Information