Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 465 holley carb

Cruiser

465 holley carb

Ive got a problem with a 465 holley carb on a 186 , the motor is a slight hottey but I think the carb is to much for the set-up. Has anyone any experience with a similar set up?

If it is only a slightly hot engine the 465 can be jetted to suit no problem as the primaries are basically just a 350 Holley. The vacuum secondaries can be wired closed if not required.
    Though, it is highly unlikely to cause much of an issue as they will barely open if the engine isn't all that worked over. (Assuming that it is a Vac Sec 465 holley).

Cruiser
    Yip its vac seconderies but runs rich as at idle and ive jusr put some 52 thou jets in so will give that a go tomorrow

Sandman Guru
    I used to run a 390 4BBLHolley on a warm 6 in an LX, it went good. Just had to be dynoed to get it right. It was a vacuum secondary square bore from memory, and I think the 465 is a spreadbore?
    Last edited by HK1837; 12-06-2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: More info added

Quote Originally Posted by HJRAY View Post
    Yip its vac seconderies but runs rich as at idle and ive jusr put some 52 thou jets in so will give that a go tomorrow
    How big is your cam (be honest)? Check it hasn't backfired strongly and blown a hole in the power valve, the float levels are right and that the gaskets (including the manifold gasket) are all sealing as they should as a low vac at idle will cause issues with the power valve opening if it is not the right size. As Innuendo mentioned a 186 might not really breathe deep enough to really need a 4 barrel but if set up right the secondaries will just (smoothly) crack high in the RPM range, which will work well.

The first one of these 465 Holleys I came across I saw fitted to Phil Lupton's Redex bash HR in the mid 80's. That went hard - reliably.

Try this useful website for setting up a Holley
    Last edited by Taily; 12-06-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Edit text and add Link
    Nunc est bibendum...

I ran a 450cfm Holley (9776 mech sec) on my FJ Sedan that I ran at the very last Castlereagh drags. It sat ontop of my Marvin Miller Nitrous plate. In those days MM kits were distributed by Robbie Madden from A1, long before he released OzNos. Mind you, my engine was a JP202 block with Ford 221 stroker crank conversion and Ben Gatt Superflow head. Hmm, memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    I ran a 450cfm Holley (9776 mech sec) on my FJ Sedan that I ran at the very last Castlereagh drags. It sat ontop of my Marvin Miller Nitrous plate. In those days MM kits were distributed by Robbie Madden from A1, long before he released OzNos. Mind you, my engine was a JP202 block with Ford 221 stroker crank conversion and Ben Gatt Superflow head. Hmm, memories!
    How did that combo (235?) go for reliability at high RPM? We saw a couple of pretty spectacular cam failures in them (where they had to be clearanced for the big end). They worked OK on the street as long as the owner was sensible about RPM limits.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Quote Originally Posted by Taily View Post
    How did that combo (235?) go for reliability at high RPM? We saw a couple of pretty spectacular cam failures in them (where they had to be clearanced for the big end). They worked OK on the street as long as the owner was sensible about RPM limits.
    It ended in predictable tears! I ran 12.8 sec @ 101 MPH in the FJ at the Castlereagh last meet. But blew the engine months later on the street in Wollongong. I know the times sound slow when compared to todays numbers but 12 sec passes for a streetable 6 cylinder was pretty good in 1984.

12 seconds is still more than quick enough for most! These days it is all intercooler, progressive fogger systems and boost pressure talk. Happy days they were.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Cruiser
    I bought the fe from a bloke who wanted to go drag racing and he put a nine inch diff a 3500 stall converter and trymatic behind a pretty strong 186 with srage 5 I think yella terra head the whole combo is a complete miss match. The diff only had an open wheeler in it . With the wrong gears, the stall was over the top and the car wont idle and I bought it because it has a killer body and I want to use it as a sat night runner in stockish form.
    I have been de tuning it and it still wont run. So I have checked the static timing on it and made sure the balancer hasnt slipped throughing my timing marks out. I have taken rocker cover of and made sure the timing is spot on but cant get the thing to idle unless the timing is set at 40 deg btdc. So ive come to the conclusion that the original builder has put the cam in wrong. I have changed power valves and jets and still no gain.
    I know a bit about dragracing , I came runner up at the opening of the mildura drag strip nostalgia 3 day event meeting and can tune a car but this thing has me stumped ! So I will spend a few more hours on it just to double check the the cam will be out, as I have no idea even what grind it is, any suggestions guys? Im all ears!!!!!!

Thread Information