Thread: Left Hand Drive

Cruiser

Left Hand Drive

Interested in feedback both negative and positive on what left hand drive (Mustang) are like to drive on Aussie Roads, I have heard from sum that it doesnt take long to get use to then others tell me they dont like it. Met a nice old fella the other day who recently bought a 66 Mustang from MOM and had them convert it to rhd for $16000 which was way more than I would have thought, the car only cost him $24k which i thought was pretty good for quality of it. I am considering buying one I guess once I drive one I will have a better idea.

G'day hj308, the only thing I was told about having a lhd is overtaking trucks on single lane roads. You have to back right off to get a look, then wait for a good long stretch of straight road. Maybe keep on the look out for one already converted. Or a genuine rhd. Good luck with your search.

Hi there hj308,

I drive a 1959 Oldsmobile left hand drive, somewhat larger than a Mustang (18 1/2 foot long), Took all of about a day to get used to it. Now I think nothing of driving on the wrong side of the car.
    Enough Mustangs have been converted so should not cost too much to change over, depends if you want originality and that bit of 'wow' factor when people see it's original.

Cruiser
    I drove left hand drive road sweeper its just a bit strange to get used to but no problem realy . U just hug the curb alot!

Hello hj308

I drive a '65 Riviera LHD. It's no problem, you just have to get used to not being able to see around some vehicles on single lane roads and drive accordingly. I have RHD Buicks as well and they do make life easier however the extra convenience of RHD doesn't warrant the cost of conversion IMO.

I have been driving LHD vehicles for a while now in S/E qld, not an issue. I did a have go a being a passenger once & thats a really wierd feeling. Added bonus is the missus won't drive my mustang.
    A lot of work is involved in doing a conversion properly (hence the 16k price) If you get an opportunity go test drive a LHD, after 15mins you will find it hard to justify the expense. I must add i only drive my car on weekends though not a daily driver.
    I did hear a funny story about a sidecar on the RHS, every time the rider was having a look to pass a truck he was putting the passenger into oncoming traffic.Doh!

Thread Information