Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: factory windows

Learner Driver

factory windows

Gday all, just wondering how you tell if the side windows are factory fitted in a sandy pv, and do windows devalue the car.
    Thanks

Factory side panel windows are typically larger than aftermarket versions. They fill the depressed side panel top to bottom edge of the depression in the side panel.
    As for devaluing? This depends on the customer purchasing. As a general rule no side panel glass (windowless) is more desirable and typically yes, they sell for more money and also sell faster due to demand.
    Lets just say, most prefer without. But it is always a personal preference/opinion.

...but we arnt driving them everyday in traffic. I think the side windows would of been invaluable after the owners had written off their rear quarters a couple of times. This is why so some have the passanger side forward window added to post-factory to windowless vans.

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

My avatar shows factory side windows for a Brisbane XX7 van if that helps.

Learner Driver
    Hi Avatar, where is it recorded as factory windows?
    Would the glass have markings printed on them to meet aus standards, and not just something that has been cut to size at a glazier.
    Seem to remember as a kid a picture of a small diamond printed on windows??
    Thanks mate

The Production Broadcast Sheet for that van indicated side windows and it was delivered with only one side brace per side in lieu of the three provided in a windowless van. The glass inserts were delivered to the delaler with the van and installed by a local body builder. He put the stripes on also. The glass had the same markings as the rest of the glass in the van. They might still be in the shed somewhere - i'll have a look on the weekend.

Learner Driver
    Thanks buickzz

Quote Originally Posted by buickzz View Post
    The Production Broadcast Sheet for that van indicated side windows and it was delivered with only one side brace per side in lieu of the three provided in a windowless van. The glass inserts were delivered to the delaler with the van and installed by a local body builder. He put the stripes on also. The glass had the same markings as the rest of the glass in the van. They might still be in the shed somewhere - i'll have a look on the weekend.
    Wow, Im sure I have seen van's in a picture on the line with the windows in (maybe it was plant specific). So your van was delivered to the dealer basically windowless without the front/rear internal braceing. Then the dealer had someone cut holes and put the windows in?

Mauser
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Wow, Im sure I have seen van's in a picture on the line with the windows in (maybe it was plant specific). So your van was delivered to the dealer basically windowless without the front/rear internal braceing. Then the dealer had someone cut holes and put the windows in?

Mauser
    Correct. Brisbane built van in Early 1974. I have also seen the photos of Adelaide built van bodies on the train with the windows install on the MYSandman site also. Queensland .. always a mystery I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by buickzz View Post
    Correct. Brisbane built van in Early 1974. I have also seen the photos of Adelaide built van bodies on the train with the windows install on the MYSandman site also. Queensland .. always a mystery I guess!
    haha remember going there in the eighties... they were definitly a bit different then!!

Mauser

Thread Information