Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: factory windows

These are factory window from Sydney 78hz

And now the windows have disappeared
    Last edited by RodneyHZ253; 06-06-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    HZ jasmine yellow sandman van
    HZ Madeira red sandman van (now sold to bigrob)
    HX mandarin red sandman ute
    HZ malachite green sandman van
    Married to Jennie285

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyHZ253 View Post
    These are factory window from Sydney 78hz
    I would not have thought these to be factory windows. It is one very gray area when it comes to side panel glass in Sandman's/Holden Panel Vans.

Quote Originally Posted by buickzz View Post
    The Production Broadcast Sheet for that van indicated side windows and it was delivered with only one side brace per side in lieu of the three provided in a windowless van. The glass inserts were delivered to the delaler with the van and installed by a local body builder. He put the stripes on also. The glass had the same markings as the rest of the glass in the van. They might still be in the shed somewhere - i'll have a look on the weekend.
    Sorry it took this long to upload this photo (I've been studying the how to post a photo page and hope it works). If it works then this is the markings on my original side windows from Brisbane built van 1974. .john

Hooray . . .!!
    Last edited by buickzz; 21-06-2013 at 08:13 AM. Reason: photo didn't appear

That glass is marked 1973, denoted by the DOT above the letter M.
    As for it being factory fitted. I'd like to see the Production Broadcast Sheet.

Never would a '74 built car get '73 dated windscreen or any other glass.

It is still a very grey science.

To add to the windows they are either etched or stamped wih pilkington glass on them, and we have a set if anyone wants them
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Are the factory windows just flat glass or is there some curve to them?

I will check goat but thinking flat
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    That glass is marked 1973, denoted by the DOT above the letter M.
    As for it being factory fitted. I'd like to see the Production Broadcast Sheet.

Never would a '74 built car get '73 dated windscreen or any other glass.

It is still a very grey science.
    I have the broadcast sheet for this car, has A09 on it. Obviously Acacia Ridge didn't fit them at that time and relied upon the dealer to fit like the stripes.

The dating on glass goes by quarters. I think this one is 4th quarter 1973 which is OK for an earlier 1974 HQ especially low volume glass like side glass.

What is A09 exactly? Is it supply glass or prepare for delivery?
    Dealer fitment isn't very likely as a lot of dealers didn't have the capability. They would have had to outsource it themselves.

What do you say Byron about the side glass in Jennie's?

I say it's odd that these were rarely advertised or pushed as an option. Sales brochures are devoid of any mention and it certainly wasn't optioned before HQ.
    Canopy Industries were the main mob in New South Wales and they go way back to FJ Panel Vans. My son has a HJ Van with "curved" side glass and appears to be factory.
    They are a lot larger then those shown in Jennie's Sandman.

Sandman Guru
    A09 is fixed side windows (70 body style only). Some body plants had the capability of fitting them (or organising to have them fitted), we've all seen the photos of Elizabeth HZ bodies on their way to interstate assembly plants with side windows installed. Whether or not Acacia Ridge body plant did fit them at any stage is anyone's guess. We do know that Buickzz's were sent in the car to the dealer, and the dealer arranged fitment by a 3rd party, same 3rd party did the stripes. So at least during this time of HQ the body plant at Acacia Ridge didn't fit them, but as they are on the broadcast sheet the car was ordered that way.

No idea about Jennie's, it is a Pagewood van so it is an Elizabeth body so compare it to the Elizabeth bodies on the train. Don't forget that some "ordered" vehicles are not built to order, but taken from plant stock or from the actual schedule for vehicle ordered for plant stock, so it is possible that whomever ordered Jennie's saw it allocated from an existing stock/order and the windows were arranged by the dealer.

There are lots of options that don't appear on sales brochures, heaps to be exact! Many I had never heard of before I got hold of ordering procedures. There is no mention of fixed side glass in the HG commercial order procedure I have, so you are probably right that HQ ws the first to have the "factory" option of fixed side glass.

It is possible also that Elizabeth body plant used a 3rd party, and the glass is Jennie's van is typical of South Australian installs?

Thread Information