Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sandman manual auto conversion

sandman manual auto conversion

Guys I have a genuine hx sandman and has the original 308 motor and is meant to have an Aussie 4 speed. But it has been converted to an auto. My question is how much less is it worth with the auto instead of the manual. If its a lot less ill convert it back to the 4 speed. Cheers

Are you planning on selling it? If not, then pick the box you'd rather drive with.

Sandman Guru
    I'd leave the auto (I assume its a trimatic?). And slowly pick up all the 4spd bits over time. If you like the auto, leave it, if you ever go to sell it having all the bits to go with it will mean its value will not be affected much at all. If you don't like the auto, then put up with it until you find all the 4spd bits. If you have all the bits it is a very easy job to change from Trimaic to 4spd.
    Note the original HX clutch mechanism is an abortion of a device, and hard to find. Rest is easy.

If it is a TH box behind the original manual block then i'd get rid of it as the adapters are awful things.

Plus for the car's value to be affected by it being an auto over the original 4spd it'd have to be a pretty top $ and correct resto or an otherwise immaculate survivor car. Even if it drops in value $1000-1500 or so it'll cost you that in buying correct original bits for it unless you do it over time picking bits up at swaps etc.

Sandman Guru
    I'd leave the auto (I assume its a trimatic?). And slowly pick up all the 4spd bits over time. If you like the auto, leave it, if you ever go to sell it having all the bits to go with it will mean its value will not be affected much at all. If you don't like the auto, then put up with it until you find all the 4spd bits. If you have all the bits it is a very easy job to change from Trimaic to 4spd.
    Note the original HX clutch mechanism is an abortion of a device, and hard to find. Rest is easy.

If it is a TH box behind the original manual block then i'd get rid of it as the adapters are awful things.

Plus for the car's value to be affected by it being an auto over the original 4spd it'd have to be a pretty top $ and correct resto or an otherwise immaculate survivor car. Even if it drops in value $1000-1500 or so it'll cost you that in buying correct original bits for it unless you do it over time picking bits up at swaps etc.

i have a HX sandman thats factory M21 4 speed, and i will be running a T400as i love turbo boxes, + and i don't think it really affects value.
    its a 4 to 5 hour job to convert it back to original provided everthing is on hand and ready to go. + 2 hours if you dont have a hoist!

in saying that a would think less of a Sandman with 253 + trimatic than 253 / 4 speed

but i would rather a 308 / T400 over a 308 / 4 speed
    "All correspondence must bear these numbers"

Yeah my plan is to sell it. Its very original and very emaculate when finished. And yes its got a turbo 400 at the moment. Ill also need a manual console which arnt cheap.

Consoles are the same its just the plastic front with vinyl boot that you can buy from rare spares

Sandman Guru
    If it has an adapter between the 308 and the TH400 i'd either change to trimatic or manual. Or use another block!

Learner Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Matts HX View Post
    Yeah my plan is to sell it. Its very original and very emaculate when finished. And yes its got a turbo 400 at the moment. Ill also need a manual console which arnt cheap.
    Got any kind of price in mind yet?

Thanks glacier. As for price I have never seen an aquarios van wwindowless and it will be amaculate so I'd want at least 35k for it

Thread Information