Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HQ Holden Belmont Panel Van - eBay - Vic

Sandman Driver
    I reckon that'd be one to leave as is, the heritage value is more than financial, its her soul. I reckon, anyway.

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien DNA View Post
    Great healthy debating here

After 40yrs of age, I dont believe that theory just refers to the collectable stuff. Any van that stays in one piece after 40yrs(especially through the van craze of the 70s & 80s)..has got to have some collectable value. Any stock standard cars of that age are getting thin on the ground.....even with the 400,000+ HQs sold!!!

Changing the heart of the vehicle is surely more butchering than wheels and some springs and shocks....i'm confused by your logic here. I'm not talking slammed into the weeds, rolling on 22s... just a few inches, keeping the 14s as is with some clean looking whitewalls.

If i was inclined or in a position to buy it, id just make the engine bay pretty, clean stock interior and then let her age gracefully
    She's still collectable, but unlike say an XU-1 or a GTS it'd still be collectable and probably worth more with a non original engine it it (in this case a 308, 350 etc) especially if youhad the whole original driveline sitting on a pallet ready to bolt back in.

In my eyes/opinion it is more original fixed up a bit (mat, front car etc) leaving original ride height and wheels (which includes GTS rims) but with say a carbied 308 and V8 trimatic than it would be lowering with mags. I know I originally said EFI 308 which is still what i'd do, and this does take it a fair bit away from any sense of being original, but that to me is for practical reasons and it is all unboltable stuff anyway. I love the look of original, but what is underneath doesn't concern me. I'd even be happy to see a big block, TH400 and 9" in it but have it looking dead stock inside and out!

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    She's still collectable, but unlike say an XU-1 or a GTS it'd still be collectable and probably worth more with a non original engine it it (in this case a 308, 350 etc) especially if youhad the whole original driveline sitting on a pallet ready to bolt back in.

In my eyes/opinion it is more original fixed up a bit (mat, front car etc) leaving original ride height and wheels (which includes GTS rims) but with say a carbied 308 and V8 trimatic than it would be lowering with mags. I know I originally said EFI 308 which is still what i'd do, and this does take it a fair bit away from any sense of being original, but that to me is for practical reasons and it is all unboltable stuff anyway. I love the look of original, but what is underneath doesn't concern me. I'd even be happy to see a big block, TH400 and 9" in it but have it looking dead stock inside and out!
    All jokes aside(as in my previous post), I agree with Byron. My 72 HQ ute was originally a 202/3spd and when I bought it, it was 253/4spd, dead straight with 3 spots of rust the size of a fingernail. This ute will be getting a 350/TH400 and the 253/4spd will be used in my HX Sandman. Unless the van in question was going to be totally restored and had some historical significance, I think a tasteful resto-mod would be the way to go:-)
    HQ Glacier White Belmont Ute
    Wanted Lanspeed accessories for Holden Grey engines, twin carb manifolds, extractors, rocker cover, 3 speed floor shift.

Sandman Driver
    It is actually a good looking Van Who then is going to buy it???? $5000 or so is not much money... what do you think it will be worth in another 6 years??

Rh rear 1/4 looks like its had a crummy repair. Could just be lighting but the van don't look very straight
    BQZ

Sandman Guru
    Ad says it has been repaired and painted, engine repainted, seat repaired.

The car has the normal overly shiny 2 pac paint job complete with orange peel etc, the seller states that it needs colour sanding and buffing, I didn't think you could colour sand and buff 2 pac once it had fully cured. It would need sanding then clear coating.
    HQ Glacier White Belmont Ute
    Wanted Lanspeed accessories for Holden Grey engines, twin carb manifolds, extractors, rocker cover, 3 speed floor shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick61 View Post
    The car has the normal overly shiny 2 pac paint job complete with orange peel etc, the seller states that it needs colour sanding and buffing, I didn't think you could colour sand and buff 2 pac once it had fully cured. It would need sanding then clear coating.
    yeah a cheap closed door 2-k quick bomb over by the looks. bit disappointing for a van with so much potential :( i don't know what colour sanding is. you can definitely wet rub shit and orange peel out of 2k but it would be a nightmare as he's likely used cheap paint and it would've hardened nicely by now.

nonetheless if it sells for under $7 i reckon its good buying
    BQZ

Thread Information