Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual fuel tanks - anyone tried it?

Dual fuel tanks - anyone tried it?

Just saw a great pic on facebook of this set up. Great idea...anybody tried this? Pretty keen to add this to the 'to do' list in my build I would even hazzard a guess to make the van more balanced as it has even weight distribution!!!

Thats a pic of the street/custom van Street Legal btw
    Last edited by Alien DNA; 27-04-2013 at 09:48 PM.

With that engine it probably needs twin tanks just to make the distance between servo's.

Yeah probably Only drama is the exhaust id imagine. Mufflers take up a bit of room underneath

Just poke em out the sides instead.

True that!!

Another pic.......jag diff forces you to go out the sides

Sandman Driver
    A mate had twin tanks on his Van. But changed it to be gas now instead of the other tank.

I've thought of doing this, it'd increase the capacity from 70.4L to 140.8L.

My main thing was that I wanted to keep it looking original by only having one filler point/fuel cap. That makes it hard to link both tanks together. The only way that I could work out how to do it was to make a custom tank that become one peice (joined over the top of the tailshaft..) - (then there is the safety issue of the tank being punctured in the event of a crash) By not being able to connect the tanks at their lowest point, it would then mean that both sides of the tank would need their own electric pump and inbuilt sump to empty each side of the tank.
    It'd have to be set up in a way that one pumps until it a sensor senses that side of the tank is low, and then the other side would cut in.

Its a lot of stuffing around just for double the fuel capacity..

I didn't think about it too much, but there'd be another way to do it...
    Cheers,
    Matt

My WB Ute Build:
    http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...te-Shed-Thread

My HZ Sandman Panelvan Replica:
    http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...nelvan-Replica

WHERE ARE YOU BHZ29069A!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by 83 WB_Ute View Post
    I've thought of doing this, it'd increase the capacity from 70.4L to 140.8L.

My main thing was that I wanted to keep it looking original by only having one filler point/fuel cap. That makes it hard to link both tanks together. The only way that I could work out how to do it was to make a custom tank that become one peice (joined over the top of the tailshaft..) - (then there is the safety issue of the tank being punctured in the event of a crash) By not being able to connect the tanks at their lowest point, it would then mean that both sides of the tank would need their own electric pump and inbuilt sump to empty each side of the tank.
    It'd have to be set up in a way that one pumps until it a sensor senses that side of the tank is low, and then the other side would cut in.

Its a lot of stuffing around just for double the fuel capacity..

I didn't think about it too much, but there'd be another way to do it...
    I am not sure what you are talking about. Just plumb the tanks to a Tee piece before the fuel pump. Unless you are running an aftermarket fuel set up or a later injected motor, you don't need to over think it. Unless of course the WB runs an electric fuel pump, I always thought they were the same as real Holdens and had a mechanical pump on the side of the motor.
    HQ Glacier White Belmont Ute
    Wanted Lanspeed accessories for Holden Grey engines, twin carb manifolds, extractors, rocker cover, 3 speed floor shift.

Sandman Guru
    That might be the chassis of an old 70's show van.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick61 View Post
    I am not sure what you are talking about. Just plumb the tanks to a Tee piece before the fuel pump. Unless you are running an aftermarket fuel set up or a later injected motor, you don't need to over think it. Unless of course the WB runs an electric fuel pump, I always thought they were the same as real Holdens and had a mechanical pump on the side of the motor.
    The WB does have a mechanical pump on the side of the motor. Yes, plumbing them to a 'T' peice before the pump would work, but not if you only wanted one filling point/fuel cap.

If you had a filler cap on each side, they could be run as independant tanks straight to the fuel pump. However, me being me, I'd like to make it look as original as possible hiding the modifications....
    Cheers,
    Matt

My WB Ute Build:
    http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...te-Shed-Thread

My HZ Sandman Panelvan Replica:
    http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...nelvan-Replica

WHERE ARE YOU BHZ29069A!?!?!?

Thread Information