Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Dual fuel tanks - anyone tried it?

I had a WB straight LPG Gas research set up.....the only drama i found with LPG is that when the tank gets hot after a long drive, refilling can be a pain. i think it was the solenoid wont open the filler when its too hot so you would have to cool down the tank with a water hose......didnt happen too often, but when it did, i was miles from the next petrol station.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ambientgoat View Post
    I've thought about it, but the 308 t400 owes me 1k, (well not including the bit where we broke down in Wilcannia and got towed back to broken hill for repairs)

I'm now wondering if I should go duel fuel, just for the extra range. Unsure on gas through.
    Bugger the dual fuel. Put the money into converting it to fuel injection.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Bugger the dual fuel. Put the money into converting it to fuel injection.
    My old HG went from Newcastle to Canberra and was about 10l/100km's. It had 308,T700, 2.78 Banjo diff, 265/50/14 and ran a 465 Holley.A/C was on all the way and had p/steer as well. Would have been better if I didn't have to stop at Blacktown at 12pm on a Friday arvo.
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

My interest in this is more around converting the second fuel tank to become a battery box, fuse and relay compartment and capacitor bank etc. I was figuring on installing the second tank fixtures, cut and convert the extra tank so its got a door and then mount everything inside. I was thinking i could have the tank somehow lower itself down when needed, to access batteries etc. Its a long shot but I thought that worst case scenario, I end up with all the mounts in place to be able to install a second tank if I wanted. I was wondering how the other cars with dual tanks ran the exhaust and where the mufflers go.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mcdvi View Post
    Hi, I run 2 tanks on my old van, we used to do some big miles when i used to rodeo in the old girl. 3.08 diff, turbo 700, with lock up you could go 1200k (drive all night non stop)
    it was an easy job to fit, I put a filler on each side. A fuelmiser valve from repco is mounted underneath with 2 inlet lines & original fuel line as outlet. You flick a switch inside to run left or right, the original fuel senders are in both tanks so the gauge reads whichever side you are on.
    It's a long time ago I did it but it was pretty simple to wire up. Exhaust runs down the middle plenty of room.
    Even got keyed alike xa gt lockable fuel caps
    We left the Coast one Friday arvo & were back @ home Tues afternoon done 4 rodeo's in Victoria & 6000k.
    Merrijig,Shepperton,Chiltern,Kyabram.

cheers Vic
    Hi Vic, i missed your reply earlier. Have you got any pics of underneath, especially the exhaust run? Cheers

Sandman Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by damienengland View Post
    My interest in this is more around converting the second fuel tank to become a battery box, fuse and relay compartment and capacitor bank etc. I was figuring on installing the second tank fixtures, cut and convert the extra tank so its got a door and then mount everything inside. I was thinking i could have the tank somehow lower itself down when needed, to access batteries etc. Its a long shot but I thought that worst case scenario, I end up with all the mounts in place to be able to install a second tank if I wanted. I was wondering how the other cars with dual tanks ran the exhaust and where the mufflers go.
    I'm guessing you want the battery box to allow you to run the entertainment unit Damien?

Hi Damien! How's your van coming along?
    We might have to catch up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SLR_dave View Post
    I'm guessing you want the battery box to allow you to run the entertainment unit Damien?
    Hey SLR_dave, didn't see this post earlier, yep that's correct. I want to put in multiple batteries and capacitors to maintain system voltage during peak audio demand so they need to go somewhere. I'm running out of room and this looks like the last big open space left. If i can get a 'power pack' bolted in underneath, that would solve everything and keep the engine bay as clean as possible. Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HZSM50 View Post
    Hi Damien! How's your van coming along?
    We might have to catch up soon.
    Hey Bill, the van's going a bit slow but still tinkering with the rolling chassis. Work has me buried so time is the issue most weeks. How's yours going? Notice you had it at the GM day! Cheers

Thread Information