Very, VERY nice. Congrats

they should call the colour Chameleon Papaya... so many different guises
    BQZ

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Very, VERY nice. Congrats

Thanks Wally

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    they should call the colour Chameleon Papaya... so many different guises
    Agreed mate, I think digital cameras have problems processing orange so it always looks different.
    HX Sandman
    Chevrolet Avalanche
    HQ Wagon

Cruiser
    Seeing you post a few pics around Facebook, I just re-read your entire thread. Saving and copying a lot as I went. Again, excellent job. I'm a few steps closer to getting my shed sorted so hopefully will be into mine by mid year.

So Christmas was here and I was bored. I thought last major job was the headlining..... cant be that hard....?

The old head lining was nice and crusty at least all the bows and wires were there

The underside of the roof had been previously prepared with primer and cavity wax

Getting started

Before anyone cans me, I have never done this before, never seen it done so I dont know if this is the right way..... its my way

I started by installing the bows and wires and hanging the head lining in position

I found the centre of the head lining and temp held it to the windscreen bracket with clips. I was doing it by myself so I came up with a G clamp string system for the back to keep it tight.

I roughly installed it with bits of pinch weld clamps. Its pretty important here to make sure everything is central running down the centre of the van.

Looking from the back to the cabin with the cabin bow in position

In this picture you can also see a bunch of pressed spikes in the roof support I dont know if this is a Sandman only item as it holds the wire against the roof?

I started with the cabin area around the windscreen streching, moving creases around, takes a while, dont try this if you dont have patients

The marks on the head lining are only dust and were washed off when finished, they look horrific with the camera flach but were barely noticable in real like

This pic also shows pinch weld holding it to the screen bracket

Slowly getting there, also using the pinch weld around the door frame to lock it tight
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Grunt; 08-05-2017 at 11:49 AM.
    HX Sandman
    Chevrolet Avalanche
    HQ Wagon

The cabin area mostly done, visors and mirror back in.... still needs a clean!

The wire attached to the roof bar

This is the read Headling attaching point. As you can seem most of the little teethare at an angle where they will not grab the head lining . Out came the scribe and each tooth was bent out...... there are so many to bend

The back roughed in, clips holding it

All stretched and ready for glue

All glued up around the rear rails and door frame using an upholstery contact glue

I will be rinning some pinch weld arpound the read rails to finish it off when it arrives

Before the final clean

So there go, if you are going to try this yourself the main things to remember, dont rush, it took me 1.5 days or so to do this and make sure you find the true centre or it just wont work
    Last edited by Grunt; 08-05-2017 at 11:54 AM.
    HX Sandman
    Chevrolet Avalanche
    HQ Wagon

Sweet write up and great detail with those pics too. Thanks for sharing your efforts!

I may have missed it.... Whereabouts did you source the headlining? Was it an ebay seller or a dedicated motor trimmer?
    Nunc est bibendum...

Geez your versatile Grunt, you can turn your
    hand to anything. Good on you.
    Wish I was able to do that.
    Cheers.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Quote Originally Posted by Taily View Post
    Sweet write up and great detail with those pics too. Thanks for sharing your efforts!

I may have missed it.... Whereabouts did you source the headlining? Was it an ebay seller or a dedicated motor trimmer?
    Hey Tally, got the while lot from One Stop in Sydney, door cards, console lid, seats and headlining. They have factory stitching, vinyl welds and materials. No fuss everything fitted and Elias does Australia wide freight. Great product and a good price

Hope im allowed to post his link, he will look after you http://www.onestoptrimming.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    Geez your versatile Grunt, you can turn your
    hand to anything. Good on you.
    Wish I was able to do that.
    Cheers.
    Just have to give it a go Robbo, its not that hard, research and patience is the key
    HX Sandman
    Chevrolet Avalanche
    HQ Wagon

Geez Mate for a 1st time headliner installation you did a great job.

I remember when my mate the trimmer and I did one of my Toranas it was my 1st time and I had no idea until he showed me.

You worked it out and did it just like a PRO.

You have a great understanding of how things work, as is evidenced throughout the entire build.

Great job Mate.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thread Information