Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HFS HZ Sandman Valencia orange BHZ17579S

So thats what mine will look like one day soon mine is an l31 m41 also just havnt got my original engine or diff not that it bothers me
    $45000 a full resto would cost that these days

Things dont have to be corrected. It is a well restored van as is. Not everyone wants it to be spot on original. Still think $45K is a bit rich but high 30's is acheivable.

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Glacier 73 View Post
    So thats what mine will look like one day soon mine is an l31 m41 also just havnt got my original engine or diff not that it bothers me
    $45000 a full resto would cost that these days
    That is the problem with Sandmans at the moment. If done right the resto cost will be more than what you can sell it for. Same applies to similar level cars like HQ GTS sedan in 253/308, LC-LJ GTR, 6cyl or 253 SL/R etc. Sure people will always say "i'll never sell it" or other such statements, but it is folly not to at least think about it! The most or second-most important rule on a house reno is don't over-capitalise, so I reckon the same advice has to be considered on a car resto (the other important rule is renovate for the biggest return, so spend money where it counts and in a way that appeals to most buyers). That's why I always encourage people that if you are going to spend good $ start with the best car you can, and with a 308 example. An L31, M41 (or even M21) Valencia HZ is a good start, so you are onto a good thing Gene!

As has been said before, it's worth what it's worth, to the new owner.

Cheers.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    That is the problem with Sandmans at the moment. If done right the resto cost will be more than what you can sell it for. Same applies to similar level cars like HQ GTS sedan in 253/308, LC-LJ GTR, 6cyl or 253 SL/R etc. Sure people will always say "i'll never sell it" or other such statements, but it is folly not to at least think about it! The most or second-most important rule on a house reno is don't over-capitalise, so I reckon the same advice has to be considered on a car resto (the other important rule is renovate for the biggest return, so spend money where it counts and in a way that appeals to most buyers). That's why I always encourage people that if you are going to spend good $ start with the best car you can, and with a 308 example. An L31, M41 (or even M21) Valencia HZ is a good start, so you are onto a good thing Gene!
    Thanks byron if it wasnt for you i wouldnt know what i had to tell you the truth when i bought it 25years ago i didnt have a clue about l31 or m41 for that matter i just fluked it being a sandman so now i will do it justice bringing it back to factory specs for the next 2 years
    cheers gene.

Thread Information