Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: My son's HQ Premier

It's a rockin'
    Put rego on the Prem Mid november and took it out for a drive, didnt even last a day before it started playing up again and running like crap. Seemed to be the carby causing issues with using too much fuel and fouling the plugs.
    Put the rebuilt original back on and yet another set of new plugs and runs and drives a lot better. Also got a new radiator which seems to have fixed the overheating problems I think. My son drove it to trade school which was about a 100k round trip and was fine then. Will be taking it to jaffs last cruise on Saturday here in SA providing it doesnt crap itself again. Also took off the fake wheel arch chrome bits which were stuck on. Looks better without but also took off some of the paint

A 350 Holley 2-barrel and adapter will fix the problem. They are good on 253's, even in a full size car (great in Torana's!)
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Banned
    Quadrajet and electronic ignition. Job done.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    But then you need a manifold to

Sandman Guru
    Fuel tank might need a clean and a good inline filter. It may have filled the prior carb with junk.

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Fuel tank might need a clean and a good inline filter. It may have filled the prior carb with junk.
    I did the fuel tank on my statesman. Don't listen to the those that say use blue metal and shake it about. Works great till you have get the stones out. Not so easy in a flat tank like that.

Cruiser
    If your going to get a new carbbie the Holley 465 works very well on a 253. When you drove my van Mick it had a 350 Holley at the time. Not so good

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I did the fuel tank on my statesman. Don't listen to the those that say use blue metal and shake it about. Works great till you have get the stones out. Not so easy in a flat tank like that.
    I got the '57's tank done, they used acid. Slow bath in Molasses works good too.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Have to agree with this, even if it means a different manifold. The Quadrajet works an absolute treat on a 253...unless you want to keep it period correct. Fuel tank clean is probably a good place to start anyway, for piece of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by damienengland View Post
    Have to agree with this, even if it means a different manifold. The Quadrajet works an absolute treat on a 253...unless you want to keep it period correct. Fuel tank clean is probably a good place to start anyway, for piece of mind.
    Yeah, well the Quadrajet works well on my 253 so that is a good idea, but I was trying to save the expense and trouble of changing the manifold.

And yeah Frosty, a 465 would probably be spot-on for a 253, but again, a 350 with the right jets is a simple conversion using the existing manifold.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thread Information