Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My son's HQ Premier

Sandman Guru
    Does look good, looks like it needs a little rust work to pass rego, but should come up a treat. I bought a HJ Belmont sedan about 10 years ago that had been done to look like a HJ GTS-ish thing. Had the same wheel combo that looks like is on that, 6" front and 8" rear jellybeans and sat about the same with the tyres about level with the guards like that. It was a pretty decent car to drive, just scraped a bit on the odd speedbump or driveway if not careful. It was my everyday driver for a few years until I wrecked it for panels for a tonner. I think it had 225/65/14 rears and 205/65/14 fronts. It had a brand new pair of 245/60/14 Eagers in the boot that had been on the car for 10 minutes but scraped bad. I've still got those tyres somewhere, probably hard as a rock by now!

It's a rockin'
    yes it does have a bit of rust,someone had spent a lot of money on it but then let it go,i bought it for him because he had an interest in old cars and i thought it would be a good learning experience for him. Sounded like a good idea at the time but then they changed the P plate laws here so he has to wait until he has full licence to drive it because its a V8. Funny thing was he could drive it on his learners permit.

Quote Originally Posted by thatotherguy View Post
    Sounded like a good idea at the time but then they changed the P plate laws here so he has to wait until he has full licence to drive it because its a V8. Funny thing was he could drive it on his learners permit.
    that is because they think that somebody sitting next to an L plater should be responsible. Even though I allowed my son to break traction once in our xr8. Or rather he just did it and I laughed. We had to buy a car for our p platers as all our vehicles were 8 cyl at the time. Dam annoying law but perhaps does save lives (Jennie on RB iPad)
    HZ jasmine yellow sandman van
    HZ Madeira red sandman van (now sold to bigrob)
    HX mandarin red sandman ute
    HZ malachite green sandman van
    Married to Jennie285

Sandman Guru
    I think it is a stupid law. He can't drive an old 253 HQ that has been repaired and is in good nick, but he is allowed to drive a $250 VN, which has much more power and more likely to have speed related issues.

It wouldn't be hard to change it back to a 202. Just pick up a rusty HJ with a 202 and auto, and it'll bolt straight in bar the exhaust.

It's a rockin'
    he gets his full licence in october,in a way im glad he cant drive it because it has given us time to fix most of its faults and the monaro should also be finished about october

P Plater
    On the topic of license restrictions, in Tasmania are L and P platers allowed to drive v8's?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    On the topic of license restrictions, in Tasmania are L and P platers allowed to drive v8's?
    they sure can in WA!
    BQZ

P Plater
    Im pretty sure they can, I'm going in to get my L's today, I'll ask then.

It's a rockin'
    My son got his full licence yesterday and today took his car out for a drive.
    IMG_3030.jpg

That's cool!!!!!!!

It looks just like the one my dad had back in '76-'82. (He didn't have mags though....)

Geeeeeez I gave that thing a thrashing! First time I got a ticket was in it too.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thread Information