Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: converting wb indicator stalk to early steering column

Sandman Driver

converting wb indicator stalk to early steering column

Hi guys

Using a early steering column in the van with a wb indicator stalk so it plugs into the wb loom.
    When removing the hazard button on the left hand side and sliding it over the steering shaft it seam to push the contacts down onto the hazards causing it to flash all lights..

Any way to bypass this or is it easier to use the early stalk and modify the plug ends to suit??

Cheers Jaft

i think ive read somewhere that modifying the plug is the way to go. good luck mate!
    BQZ

Sandman Guru
    Aren't the hazards in the blinker mech not the stalk? If so just use a HX-HZ blinker mech with the WB stalk.

Sandman Driver
    The mech side for hx Hz has a big splade connecter as the wb version only has a small connector. And the nnumber Of cables coming down from the mech are different too.

Will take pics later

Sandman Guru
    The stalk has got nothing to do with the blinkers though, or am I misunderstanding the issue?

My way of thinking may be simple and not right BUT why not remove the hazard switch/button and make sure the wiring doesn't need to be a "continues loop" If not..chase the wires down to the connector and remove/eliminate them. So you have no wiring earthing out in the column and no dodgy connections or colour change's.
    If the wiring is to be a LOOP..just join-em,tape-em,hide-em.
    Hope this makes sense. Calbert

Hk, he's trying to put both stalk and internal mech from a wb into a hz column. The electrical plugs on the internal indicator mech is different between the two series.

Jaft, I would be tempted to look at your wb ute and look at how etc to modify the hz column to fit the hazard. Should be just one hole in exactly the right place. Then you have hazard lights which are kinda handy.

Sandman Guru
    I get the issue now. HQ-HZ mech brings the reversing switch wire up into the column so that it operates the blinkers and apart from that reverse switch wire (light green in the HX-HZ mech) and the brown wire (in the WB mech) than runs down to the hazard flasher unit the wires are the same. As Goat says leave the WB blinker mech and modify it to suit. Either drill the hole or use a WB pot with the hole in it already.

It's a rockin'
    Quote Originally Posted by ambientgoat View Post
    Hk, he's trying to put both stalk and internal mech from a wb into a hz column. The electrical plugs on the internal indicator mech is different between the two series.

Jaft, I would be tempted to look at your wb ute and look at how etc to modify the hz column to fit the hazard. Should be just one hole in exactly the right place. Then you have hazard lights which are kinda handy.
    hazard lights are only needed if you have a pos chev like me but he has a holden motor so he wont need them

Hey Jaft, Just to clarify...Are you wanting to get rid of the Hazards for a "cleaner column" OR are you wanting to retain the Hazards in the older column?
    Sorry guys but im just lost in direction,hope it's just me tho'.
    Cheers Calbert.

Thread Information