Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original or Modified drivetrain

Original or Modified drivetrain

I can't see how you do one of those nifty vote bars so comment below;

So I've got a HJ sandman which is just a bare shell in need of a bit of rust repair along with the bare chasis (not even fuel lines at this stage). The original drivetrain is long gone.

I have decided that the van is going to externally and internally look original. Not down to the level of the correct dash facia/vynal grain etc. but basically correct + stereo + side windows (I don't want to get into a debate about these being original or not now, but driving one with no windows currently makes me realise why they all got windows put in back in the day)

So originally the van was 253 / 4 Speed / 3.08 Diff

In the shed I have;

Engine Options:
    253 bare block, virgin bore. Plus all the bits to make it a complete engine. (Not even close to correct datecode)
    308 Trimatic pattern. (Statesman motor)
    308 Turbo pattern. (Statesman Motor)

Trans Options:
    4 Speed
    Trimatic
    T400

Diff Options (None LSD):

Additional:
    Complete Gas System.

I can't see the forrest for the trees at the moment, so I'd like to get some input from the forum on what combination you'd run.

Goat
    Last edited by ambientgoat; 19-03-2013 at 01:22 PM.

308, trimatic and 2.78. And straight LPG.

Sandman Guru
    If the 308 TH engine has good compression and runs, if I was you i'd do the following:

Make it look original like you say.
    Buy a whole VN-VS 304 and 4L60/4L60E. You'll get one of these for under $1000.
    Buy a new EFI cam.
    Strip the top end off the TH308 and put the whole EFI top end on it, plus the new cam.
    Put it in the HJ with the 4L60/E.

Pretty much bolts in like any other 308, plus some wiring and fuel muck around. From memory a TH400 tailshaft with a tonner yoke goes close, you can all but use a TH350 crossmember (or make it yourself), TH400 speedo cable and T-bar both work.

There is a few things you have to buy like speed sensor and probably a low pressure lift pump plus a swirl pot. But all worth it in the end as one of these with the 3.08:1 diff will be pretty economical in a relatively light vehicle like a HJ van (or use the 2.78 if you want small diameter tyres).

The reason for using the red motor is if you use it there is no need for any Engineering, just the same as putting a Holley carb on a HJ. If you wish to go this way let me know and i'll send you some info. There is really no point in trying to date code match etc as you don't have the original engine.

253 / 4 Speed / 3.08 Diff, good allround set up, not to thirsty if set up right, would go with wb 4 barrel carb and electronic ignition though.
    Driver -1981 WB kingswood 253 4 speed
    Weekend- AC Cobra replica 302ho(425hp) 4 speed toploader
    Project Complete- SLR 5000 LH mock up(next door Neighbors)
    never late in a 5.0 litre

If it was me that had all that laying around i would go the 308' turbo 400' 3.08 diif on gas power and economy
    i will be running this combo in my hz but not on gas
    hope this helps
    Last edited by Alien DNA; 19-03-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: double post.

Sandman Guru
    Or in addition to what I just typed, use the TH400 and 2.78:1 diff with the EFI top end on the 308TH bottom end. Easier again. You won't need to worry about gas if you have the EFI engine. With gas about half the price of fuel it'll cost about the same to run, an EFI 304 in a HJ would pull 25-30MPG with a mix of driving. You'd be lucky to get half that on gas with an old carbied 308 with an older style system.

Sell all the motors, diffs , 4speed, trimatic and buy a 350 crate motor and a 9 inch. Fit with straight gas and T400 box.

308, Aussie four speed and 3.08 diff. Supreme!!

Thanks for the good replys so far folks.

Find it interesting that no-one has jumped on the 'take it back to original' bandwagon

Playwme, that'd be the logical option, but you don't get a shed full of hoarded treasures being logical! Plus the HZ ute and the HX I'm never quite sure if it's a sandman or not van would be sad if they didn't get the handme down motors.

HK1837, thanks for the very detailed reply. Out of interest, if the main focus is economy, why wouldn't you go for the trimatic over the t400 given as I understand the t400 is going to take more just to turn it over? My main hesitation with EFI is I play with electonic control systems all day everyday, it's nice to go home to the shed and play with things that run without the need for computers.

Quote Originally Posted by ambientgoat View Post

but you don't get a shed full of hoarded treasures being logical!
    Might have to steal that one off you. I have trouble getting that message across to people. They don't understand why I bought 40 acres just for cars. (it's normal to fill an old house with Holden parts and put a roller door in one wall so you can get your coupe out of the weather isn't it?)

Thread Information