Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could you option power windows on a sandman?

Cruiser
    Going with the initial statement about air... How do I know if my van had air from the factory? I'm not sure if there is a thread about this, I've had a look and haven't found one. I read something years ago about the number listed on the tyre placard being indicative of air or not.
    Is this true? As I have the original placard and at the time of reading, my number suggested my van should have had air con, but there is no evidence of it...

Sandman Guru
    Things to look for for factory air:

Big hole in the centre of the firewall (for vacuum supply lead and A/C wiring), approx 32mm.
    Overlapping 16mm holes or slot down below the heater housing for heater core spouts.
    Where the cowl fresh air vents screw into the plenum from below on both sides, non-air cars have them held in with 2 x screws. A/C cars use 3 x screw holes (driver's side one is a blanking plate on A/C cars).

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    If I had known then, that in 20 or 30 year's time they would be sort after, yeah I would have proof available. These vehicle's have now become landfill many year's ago, they did exist though. I would also have a "HO" falcon of each model and a few nice torana's also in a shed, if I had known.
    Along with land and property on the east coat....which makes me wonder our BF GT which is in original condition and hardly any kms on the clock will it be worth anything in 30 years, its going in a container for a daughter when I can afford a GT R Spec....lol....
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Sandman Guru
    Probably better off selling it Jennie and buying a Devil yellow manual 2001 V2 CV8 or an early HSV GTS coupe.

Hang on to it Jennie, a lot of those vehicles have been modified. Nice clean one owner vehicles are pretty thin on the ground. You can alway's tell when a vehicle has been modified , then returned to original, their value decreases dramatically.

History alway's show's that clean unmodified vehicles will appreciate in value. Keep it for your family, especially since you bought it new.

Cheers.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Learner Driver
    my hj sandman has power windows and statesman door cards. looks very tidy job if someone has fitted them. wiring looks factory

Banned
    Looking at the practical side of power windows as standard, there were no control buttons for only two windows as far as I am aware. Also there is no provision for switches in the arm rests or console. So it really had to be impossible.

Yeah, but you could always order a "special" if you had enough clout at Holden. There were a lot of cars built that don't conform to any standard guidelines.

I had an argument years ago with a bloke about whether Holden built a HR Premier with a bench seat. He was so sure that there were none with a bench until I showed him a brochure I have, clearly showing a bench in a Premier.

There are a lot of "mutts" out there.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Banned
    Yes but only if they actually built the parts. Unless they used statesman door trims and console and had a specific two window switch made there were no parts available. They would also have needed a specific wiring harness. I just don't think it would have happened unless it was for a Motor Show special.
    Perhaps if power windows were available in a Kingswood it could of happened. But they were not.

That's true, I agree with you in principal, but the fact is that they did do a few of these rare specials, using bits from the GM international parts bin like power window switches from a US 2-door. Door trims would be a piece of cake in the Holden trim dept by simply fitting a switch where the normal winder goes.

When I had my van back in the late 70's, my milkman had a HX one-tonner in black, with 308/T400 with a factory fitted Statesman front, GTS guards, air-con, pwr steer, electric windows, GTS dash (and a plastic floor mat instead of carpet). It was all GMH built. They whinged and bitched about it when he ordered it, but he eventually got what he wanted.

All of these "unicorn" cars are one-offs, but they DO exist.

My Dad's best mate used to be the fleet manager at Suttons Motors Chullora back in the 70's/early 80's, and they also did a bit of "Dealer Special Option" stuff for prominent customers.

Just because something wasn't on the options list for a particular model didn't mean you couldn't have it, but it probably depended on who you knew.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thread Information