Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Sandman tags for sale on ebay AHX 04539B

Sandman Driver

More Sandman tags for sale on ebay AHX 04539B

More Plates advertised...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/genuine-h...item4ac25ddc91

Genuine Sandman panelvan id plates. 308, M21, GV4. model HX8WM70 XX7. Body 400190B. trim 1886 67V. paint 568 15949. GVW 1950. Seating cap 2. more info ph nathan 0410588722.advertised elsewhere and can be removed at any time. cash or direct deposit only

Expensive toy to just hang in a shed. Valuable to some I suppose.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Here is a question. On some other forums (Torana) they have a ongoing thread of tags that been seperated from the origional shell. This forms a defacto database of naked tags that is a permanent record for perspective buyers researching a vehicle if they are thorough enough in the search engines. As we know.... what goes on the internet stays on the internet.

Should we do the same for naked Sandman tags on here?

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Sandman Guru
    I'd rather not see such a thread. They go stupid over there over stuff that no-one should really give a damn about. Like who the hell cares about a 6cyl SL/R or the like, if the tags go back on another shell and it ends up as a modified car with Chev or 308 etc. who really cares? In many of the cases i'd rather see the cars back on the road, and if people are stupid enough to pay big $ for a car based solely upon what ID plates say well I see that as their own fault in some ways. Tags for sale on Ebay maybe is OK to do it to, but to simply put up tags that are with a car that are off it is IMHO not ideal.

Byron i think you will find some of us on the torana forum are mainly worried about people trying to fake off xu1s or gtrs as base model s toranas thats the whole idea with the the thread on tags and im surprised your not all for it

Sandman Guru
    I do get XU1's, but not GTR's or 6cyl SL/R's or base model Monaros or SL hatchbacks etc. Why would anyone really care? Who would go to all the trouuble to fake one of these when you can buy a real one for not all that much money? The same argument applies to a lot of Sandmans too!
    I don't support people selling ID plates alone, and am all for stamping that out, but to list cars that have ID plates off them I don't support which I think is what Mauser was talking about?
    But having said that I don't have an issue with someone repairing a Sandman using another shell, as long as the shell is identical to the one it is replacing. Why would anyone care about that? If the thing is getting a resto from scratch bugger all will be original anyway!
    I'm in no way condoning someone starting with tags and sticking them on any old body, but what about if you had say a set of Sandman tags and stuck them on an original Sandman body from the same body plant as the tags came from. I know it is illegal nowadays, but at one stage it wasn't, and there are plenty of cars out there like this?

In the end i'd just want to be cautious about going too far with naming and shaming, maybe Ebay for sale tags only?

So what your saying is a gtr or 6 cyl torana arnt worth rebirthing many people have tried to flog off a s model torana as a gtr when its not and when your talking about 20 to 30 k difference in price it bothers me

- - - Updated - - -

Try buying a cheap gtr in good cond these days full resto ones start at 15k

Sandman Guru
    I understand there are idiots out there who try to defraud people, but normally those cars don't even pass basic scutiny so why does it really matter? Surely no-one buys a collectable car without looking at it? If they do that is just plain silly! Any of these done from ID plates alone wouldn't even have proper chassis numbers!
    What I really mean why would a sensible person pay $ for a set of GTR plates, then find a really good S, buy all the GTR bits and then rebuild it into a going faked car that was good enough to pass scrutiny, when you could start with the real thing for $10-$15k with no associated risk. Even then that is overpriced when you consider the $ required just to make a $30k car out of it. That's where i'm coming from. I get why crooks do it with XU-1's as the money incentive is there, but you can buy a beaut, driving GTR for $20k-$30k. I'm not talking concours perfect, but a nice useable car. Same applies to 6cyl or even 253 SL/R's, Sandmans, 6cyl GTS Monaros, 4 door 253/308 Monaros etc. The $ and hence motive just don't stack up to make it worth it on these second and third tier collectable cars. This is why the big problems always seem to occur with the premium cars: GT-HO, XU-1, GTS327/350, L34 etc.

Again though, ID plates for sale on Ebay - put them up in a thread. These are the only car's ID in my database that I actually put a comment next to, so I can advise at a future date if they turn up on a car. I don't bother recording that a set of ID plates are loose with a car though.

Edit, here is a couple of GTR examples of what I meant (assuming they aren't fakes!):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230924623...orig_cvip=true
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221194546...orig_cvip=true
    Last edited by HK1837; 13-03-2013 at 10:20 PM.

What I was meaning was that no-one believes that someone is buying those tags for display only. I personally dont care about re-shelling and definitly dont want to talk about stamping rails but this is different.

For some people the XX7 stamped tags on a windowless shell would be enough to pounce. I think when they are seperate like that (ie not tags loose and a car with it) then we should post the pictures and the put the numbers in text as well. All that means is if someone runs the VIN in google then it might come up. They will probably still buy it but it is bleeding obvious what has occured.

Mauser

Its already at $350 with 5 days to go. They are not going straight to the pool room!!!
    Last edited by mauser; 13-03-2013 at 10:46 PM.
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

I say keep an online register of 'Tags Only' sales from ebay and gumtree. What harm could there be in it? As long as it is in a standard format that is searchable in the future.

Thread Information