Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Attaching Clutch Fan

Attaching Clutch Fan

Can I get a tip on how to bolt a clutch fan to an extension snout of the water pump?

Does the fan need to be dismantled to slide the bolts through the extension snout to the pulley? Would photos of the issue help?

May need a photo,The only clutch fan i've replaced had "allen key" type studs and fan didn't need to be dismantled. Rodeo 4x4!!

Sandman Driver
    After having that convosation today

I do have a clutch fan on the spare motor that i can pull apart tomorrow and have a look at, if you want i can get the bolts out..
    Last edited by jaft; 10-03-2013 at 11:09 PM.

Thanks Calbert - seems to be a bigger issue.

I have a 253 with a triple bottom pulley. The water pump pulley is not lining up at the moment, if I add a washer to the inside of the water pump pulley it would line up with the middle slot of the main triple pulley (I assume this to be correct).

Anyway if anyone has a triple pulley system and clutch fan I would appreciate some detailed photos.

***Edit -I have longer bolts than I need, will have to find short bolts for this fan.
    Thanks jaft!
    Last edited by Blocker; 10-03-2013 at 11:25 PM.

HaHaHa..Sorry Blocker wasn't pickin up what you were puttin down

Sandman Guru
    Just short set screws, you can't put the fan on in the car until the shroud is around it (loose), then bolt the fan on and fit the shroud to the radiator.

Sounds like your harmonic balancer isn't all the way on properly. Middle groove on the pressed steel pulley (or much later cast ones from VN on?) is the alternator and water pump. Back one is steer, front is A/C. Make sure you have a HQ-WB pulley, Commodore ones don't have the rear inner groove ie pulley sticks out further than HQ-WB. Basically HQ-WB have the inside groove hard up on the balancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Blocker View Post
    Thanks Calbert - seems to be a bigger issue.

I have a 253 with a triple bottom pulley. The water pump pulley is not lining up at the moment, if I add a washer to the inside of the water pump pulley it would line up with the middle slot of the main triple pulley (I assume this to be correct).

Anyway if anyone has a triple pulley system and clutch fan I would appreciate some detailed photos.

***Edit -I have longer bolts than I need, will have to find short bolts for this fan.
    Thanks jaft!

Thanks Calbert nothing to be sorry about in my haste I didn't explain everything.

Here are detailed photos, and from what HK1837 says I may have the wrong harmonic balancer(?)

IMAG1691.jpg
    Original triple pulley from the late 1974 253 engine. There is a small gap between slot 1 & 2 unlike 2 & 3.

IMAG1692.jpg

IMAG1695.jpg
    The water pump pulley doesn't line up with the 2nd slot/groove

IMAG1693.jpg
    Supplied harmonic balancer (my suspicion it is the wrong one).

IMAG1697.jpg
    Harmonic balancer as fitted, I cannot see it can move 'in' anymore (maybe it does).

IMAG1698.jpg
    This is the gap between pulley and balancer and I cannot push it any closer.

Water pump pulleys have two types, rounded edge and square edge. Square edge is later and this may be what's needed to match your lower triple pulley depending on what it is off?
    Basically what I'm saying is you need a matching pair of pulleys. That said, your Sandman should have the rounded edge water pump pulley. The question becomes, is your triple pulley from something early or something late?

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Water pump pulleys have two types, rounded edge and square edge. Square edge is later and this may be what's needed to match your lower triple pulley depending on what it is off?
    Basically what I'm saying is you need a matching pair of pulleys. That said, your Sandman should have the rounded edge water pump pulley. The question becomes, is your triple pulley from something early or something late?

Thanks Innuendo I will look into that.
    The triple pulley is original to the engine, but the water pulley was picked up yesterday at a swap meet (rounded edge?). I'll see if I can find a 'square' one to hopefully fix the problem and report back.

IMAG1699.jpg

IMAG1700.jpg

IMAG1701.jpg
    Last edited by Blocker; 11-03-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Sandman Guru
    If you had a later HZ/VB onwards long nose waterpump and that pulley I think the problem would be arse about. It does look to me that the harmonic balancer is not in far enough. I'm pretty sure they are the same HT through to VSIII. I'd undo the nut and pull the balancer back out. Make sure the key is sitting correctly, and you put some ATF or oil on the seal. Tap the balancer in lightly with a wooden or rubber mallet and take it the rest of the way with the nut. Use 2 x pulley bolts and a big screwdriver to stop the balancer turning the engine.

Thread Information