Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drivers side wiper pivot.

Drivers side wiper pivot.

Bolting the (as yet unfinished and still in primer) HJ back together for our move to Sydney in a couple of weeks with work and noticed that in the past 18 months the ute has sat in the shed not being driven that the drivers side wiper arm pivot seems to have stiffened up pretty badly to the point that it will only move freely through about 30 degrees of its arc, getting very stiff anywhere outside that and not moving beyond around 70 degrees (which I think from memory was its total arc anyway). I tried soaking it overnight in a jar filled with WD40, which did help smooth it down a bit but cannot get it to run smooth without starting to bind badly near the ends of its normal movement. It is that bad when it is installed that with the wiper motor running it causes a knocking noise at the motor as the shaft is pushed backwards and forwards as it tries to overcome the binding pivot.

Questions are: Has anyone had a pivot out of the car and can verify that it will spin freely (which I am pretty sure it should, just like the left hand side one does), and (this reflects more upon the fact I recently lost a full hardrive of irreplaceable data I had built up over 25 years as I had scanned a lot of my old manuals into electronic format) are the drivers side pivots all the same part number HQ-WB (my 3/75 had a presslite motor/pump) or can they be at least modded to accept the attaching boss to suit the standard HJ arms)?

Hoping some of the dismantlers here might have an idea or wish to sell me a pivot...

Regards,

Dave.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Getting around to putting this back together soon. Does anyone have one they'd like to sell or has anyone ever gotten adventurous enough to drill out one of the welds and pulled one apart? If so, which weld did you drill out and did it work?

I did grab one off ebay but when it showed-up it was completely flogged out... bummer.

Any ideas anyone?
    Nunc est bibendum...

They should be pretty free to move. I've never looked that close. The ones from my parts car are on GTS' green van now. Might have some floating around in the many boxes of random parts but that requires digging around a dusty shed an hour from home so won't be a quick excercise.

F@#K mmeeeeeeee they are a total bitch to get off! i dont think anyone would have one laying around unless they cut the cowl with a grinder to get it out...

my experience is that they are supposed to move a lot and very freely
    BQZ

Cruiser
    Not sure what you mean but drivers side pivot is removed by three 5/16 or1/4 bolts under the dash remove the outside air (black with cable)unit first two screws then you should see it

Quote Originally Posted by Cocko750 View Post
    Not sure what you mean but drivers side pivot is removed by three 5/16 or1/4 bolts under the dash remove the outside air (black with cable)unit first two screws then you should see it
    Noooo thats salt in the wounds... i didnt even think to take the duct/blanking plate off
    BQZ

Appreciate the help guys very much. I have removed the wiper mechanism/arms from the ute as I have finally gotten around to painting it (Cucko, that is exactly how they come out, cheers mate) and yeah the passenger side is beautiful and smooth but the drivers side (the one with the relay pin) is the crook one.

Might have some floating around in the many boxes of random parts but that requires digging around a dusty shed an hour from home so won't be a quick excercise.
    Nelan, I'd be stoked if you had one you could spare/swap for a decent carton/bottle of something or other to personal taste... I'm not in any hurry if it works with whatever you're up to/doing.

Dave.
    Nunc est bibendum...

I will be taking one out of a car on the weekend you can have. PM your details and I will send it next week. Cheers

Cruiser
    The ones I got from Nelan were a bit tight as well. I simply gave them a spray with some Yield and now they are as smoth as silk. Thanks again Nelan.

Quote Originally Posted by GTS View Post
    The ones I got from Nelan were a bit tight as well. I simply gave them a spray with some Yield and now they are as smoth as silk. Thanks again Nelan.
    Not too surprising. The front end of that car was pretty much hidden under a large bush and the grass around it was pretty high when I dragged it out of the yard I got it from. God knows how long it had been there. Canberra car though so still didn't have any rust in the cowls

Thread Information