Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HQ Splash and Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by Alien DNA View Post
    Holden called the van The Great White Chicken Truck ...was a 308 4 speed with a super cool interior!!

Actually the Van was named by Holden "De-Van" but employee's called it affectionately "The Great White Chicken Truck"

Quote Originally Posted by Alien DNA View Post
    Funnily enough the same guy, Peter Arcadipane did the Holden and Ford graphics!!

Later Peter would team up with Sam Midgley and create the Falcon Concord Van and we all know that front ended up being the nose on the Mad Max Interceptor coupe.

Sandman Guru
    It isn't the original format Devan, not in that form anyway. Here is a photo of the De-van at we think the Adelaide Hot Rod show in 1972, it was probably built around the same time as the Ewe't. The De-van had the same wheels and tyres on it, but not comprehensive proof as this was common practice. Those wheels on the Ewe't in the background of the motor show photo were fitted to the SS prototype and the 350Z at some stage but left GMH on the Ewe't. It is very possible the Devan was re-coloured and had the chicken decal added to it later. Exhaust looks right, as do the chrome tail-light surrounds and aerial but we can't see in that photo if it has the big opening sunroof or not. If that car at the 1973 Melbourne motor show with the boards on the roof is the same car (with different wheels) then it isn't the Devan as there is no sunroof in it and it isn't decked out in the back.

EDIT - I just watched the video again from the Sydney 1973? Motor show. That IS the De-van with the chicken stripes on it! Awesome info. I have a photo taken from the rear in the form as in the photo below which I added, and the rear deckout is the same and it has the sunroof in it. Therefore the car shown with the Ewe't is a different car.

103274-08.jpg103274-06.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturne View Post
    Here's a scan from "Modern Motor" May 1973 from their '73 Melbourne Motor Show report:

Attachment 7729
    Are you certain this is the 1973 Melbourne motor show? Just helps to nail down some dates! They must have built this Chicken van as the De-van must have not been ready for the Melbourne 1973 show (Feb-Mar) as it was being resprayed and having the chicken logo put on. De-van was dispayed late in 1972 in its original format, so that makes sense.

I just found my notes from when I talked to Leo last year, he said the splash and chicken logos were around the design dept when he first arrived in 1968-1969.
    Last edited by HK1837; 23-02-2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Added Edit point.

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mook View Post
    pretty sure I was touching my self the whole time! What is that crazy mustang like HQ? Sensual!
    That is the 308Q. Built by a hotrod shop in South Melbourne, Bagshaw liked it and put it in the shows.

I have heaps of photos of it, here are 2 x colour ones, source unknown. I have a photo of it on the styling turntable on the Tech Centre at Fishermans bend too.

HQ concept 3l[1].jpgHQ concept 2l[1].jpg
    Last edited by HK1837; 23-02-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Ahhhhh HQ history...... wonderful period of Aussie motoring. These and the development of the Torana proto's must of been a fun time to goto work there.

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Are you certain this is the 1973 Melbourne motor show? Just helps to nail down some dates! They must have built this Chicken van as the De-van must have not been ready for the Melbourne 1973 show (Feb-Mar) as it was being resprayed and having the chicken logo put on. De-van was dispayed late in 1972 in its original format, so that makes sense.

I just found my notes from when I talked to Leo last year, he said the splash and chicken logos were around the design dept when he first arrived in 1968-1969.
    Here's a bit more of the page (Wheels May 1973):

MM7305.jpg

Sandman Guru
    Awesome, thanks for that!

surly when you talked to Leo you had to ask him here you could find the original artwork for the stripes?

also with the pics of the ute showing the splash and chicken strips is that the same ute but with a different pair of wheels and decal on each side?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blocker View Post
    Anyone remember these or have actually seen these on a car back in the day and where?

Attachment 7716

Attachment 7717
    Last edited by mook; 23-02-2013 at 03:34 PM.

That is the 308Q. Built by a hotrod shop in South Melbourne, Bagshaw liked it and put it in the shows.

I have heaps of photos of it, here are 2 x colour ones, source unknown. I have a photo of it on the styling turntable on the Tech Centre at Fishermans bend too.

HQ concept 3l[1].jpgHQ concept 2l[1].jpg
    That's awesome. Any idea if the body mods are steel or fibreglass? Wonder if it's still around. Would be good to do a replica of. I reckon I've got most of the parts, just maybe not the body skills.

Sandman Guru
    Looks like glass to me.

Sandman Guru
    No, never asked him. Not really of any interest as they are not a Sandman thing, meant for normal utes or vans. He's been gone for so long I doubt he'd know where it was now!

I think you are onto something, both sides of the car have redwalls, it is a bench seat car with no headrests, 202 Kingswood. Look at the water marks around the turntable, I reckon they are the same in both photos.

Quote Originally Posted by mook View Post
    surly when you talked to Leo you had to ask him here you could find the original artwork for the stripes?

also with the pics of the ute showing the splash and chicken strips is that the same ute but with a different pair of wheels and decal on each side?

Thread Information