Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Tailgate Rubber

Cruiser

Top Tailgate Rubber

Have tried two new top tailgate rubbers on my van neither of them fit tight and firm across the bottom, the one from Harrison's is the worse , the one from Rares is better but still not a perfect fit. To the people that have fitted these new do you have to apply some contact adhesive along the bottom rubber to secure it as it hangs down below the opening when in the closed position. Also I am fitting my chrom tail light surrounds and having trouble getting a close fit, I have been told today by a friend that their should be four plastic lugs?? that fit into the body to take the four pins on the back of the tail light surrounds? I dont remember taking any off when stripping it down. If this is the case are they available from Rares etc.

I thought those lugs were metal if you break them off thats it another set of surrounds

No plastic lugs in the tail lights (unless there is an after market one available). You'll need some body sealer putty a bit like this one on ebay to both (sort of) hold in situ (applied to the hole in the body and the cast metal lugs on the surround fit in the hole while the top an bottom screw hold the surround in place.

Sorry I cannot help you with the tailgate rubber suffice to ask does it look like it should be retained with some form of adhesive?

Regards,

Dave.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Yes, you'll need to contact adheasive in your rubber.

Cruiser
    Thanks guys , will give both the adhesive a go on the rubber and get some body sealer putty to help hold the surrounds in place, one is being a bit stubborn and cant get it all the way in.

Hi HJ; there should be metal sleeves rectangular shaped with rounded ends, that fit in the body holes to hold the trims (similar idea to the inserts that hold the body badge pins). I didn't notice them when removing the trims & lost a few too! Rares didn't sell them so I visited a wrecker a found a few still attached to old trims.

If you find the right sleeves, the trims will fit properly & tight - you wont need sealant. If I find one I will post a pic (if I find 8 I'll PM you!).

Quote Originally Posted by hj308 View Post
    Also I am fitting my chrom tail light surrounds and having trouble getting a close fit, I have been told today by a friend that their should be four plastic lugs?? that fit into the body to take the four pins on the back of the tail light surrounds? I dont remember taking any off when stripping it down. If this is the case are they available from Rares etc.

Ring them (Harrison's) Ours are fine have bought two

It's a rockin'
    make sure your tail light surrounds dont have any old sealer on them

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturne View Post
    Hi HJ; there should be metal sleeves rectangular shaped with rounded ends, that fit in the body holes to hold the trims (similar idea to the inserts that hold the body badge pins). I didn't notice them when removing the trims & lost a few too! Rares didn't sell them so I visited a wrecker a found a few still attached to old trims.

If you find the right sleeves, the trims will fit properly & tight - you wont need sealant. If I find one I will post a pic (if I find 8 I'll PM you!).
    I'd forgotten about the sleeves, have taken a photo of mine and will post it up tonight.
    Nunc est bibendum...

ute tail light.jpg

You can see them there.

Regards,

Dave.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Thread Information