Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Get a load of this, right near the beach today

Sandman Guru
    What I really want to do but will never get time, is buy a whole V8 auto VY/Z tonner and unbolt the chassis from the cabin backwards. Then stick it all on a GQ/GU Patrol ute chassis (with rear leaf springs and tray mounts). Use a Marks 4x4 4L65E to Patrol transfer case adapter. Then make up a steering column adaption, and power steering hoses. The whole engine/body/tail-lights harness from the tonner all work together and remain as they are. Would just have to weld mounts onto the Patrol chassis for the Gen3 engine, and remove the VY/Z K-frame, steering rack and front struts. Everything else remains where it was on the Holden (battery, radiator etc). Some sort of brackets to fit the ute's fuel tank to the Patrol chassis and she's all done. Hopefull the transfer case could remain in place, but given the front wheels don't have to be perfectly in the centre of the front wheel arches (as you'd remove the front bar and fabricate a bull-bar) you'd have some leeway in that area. The only bit I can't imagine is the transfer case stick. Maybe an 80 series 'cruiser chassis would be better as they have no transfer case stick....?

My thoughts on the conversion are to pay more money for a good tonner with good interior and no panel or paint work needed to save on that part of the job.
    Last edited by HK1837; 20-01-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Thread Information