Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Value of a Sandman or The Never Ending Story

Value of a Sandman or The Never Ending Story

At the end of the day there worth what someone will pay for them simple
    good luck with the sale

Banned
    Man they are worth what the market dictates, not what someone will pay for for something. My neighbours farm sold for $2200 an acre. The purchaser had a wad of cash because he was bought out by the mines. So he paid stupid money for $1000 an acre country. The same goes for sandman's. Some fool pays stupid money for a sandman in crap condition does not mean they all suddenly go up in value by 100%.
    The bloke who paid over $500000 for that GTHO Phase 3 would have learnt that lesson the hard way.

wbute, you are right, the market dictates the price of an item which is the same way as saying that something is worth what someone will pay for it. If that value is inflated the market will adjust itself.

I had another look at the ad for these cars, there is only one HJ listed although the way the ad is laid out is confusing.
    HQ Glacier White Belmont Ute
    Wanted Lanspeed accessories for Holden Grey engines, twin carb manifolds, extractors, rocker cover, 3 speed floor shift.

I have noticed of late that some people are asking stupid money for vans and utes whats going on out there are they really worth that or are people caught up in this buying old school frenzy its me buggered

It's a rockin'
    stupid money for restored /rebuilt examples i can understand, they are probably just trying to get their money back i am rebuilding a HQ monaro at the moment and even tho i have done a lot of it myself it has still cost me a heap of money . $895 for door trims,$80 ea for new arm rests,$780 for a new HQ dash pad,$900 to have my gauges restored and recoloured and $450 to have the proper silver fishscale dash and console inserts,$320 for a new roof lining and a $1000 on aircond,so thats over 4 and a half grand and i havent even touched the seats yet . Thats why you see so many unfinished projects for sale,people just dont realise how much it costs. Speaking of unfinished projects i was talking to another forum member tonight and we havent seen any progress photo's of Blockers van for quite sometime ,so come on Blocker your the one who got us all enthused, whats going on with your project ?

i know exactly where your coming from (thatotherguy) i have spent 10k on the driveline of my gtr torana and thats with my mates doing all the work for me im doing the trim at the moment and lucky for me i only need to do hoodling and carpet and kick panels there goes another 1000 bucks whack whack im not even contemplating doing the body because i havnt got a spare 15 k thats what i got quoted where do you stop

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier 73 View Post
    I have noticed of late that some people are asking stupid money for vans and utes whats going on out there are they really worth that or are people caught up in this buying old school frenzy its me buggered
    The key word there is "asking". These people have no real interest in restoring the cars, they're just trying to flip them and make as much money as possible.
    Take these 3 for example, they were advertised before they were even picked up from the previous seller.

A lot of the genuine "unfinished projects" sell for a lot less than was put into them. Situations change and people run out of money or motivation. They usually have at least a practical idea of what it's worth or if they can't bear to take too big a loss then they store it away until they are able to finish it. The big dollar rusty wrecks are usually people trying to make a quick buck or the guy who didn't do his research, bought it with his eyes closed, never could afford to restore it in the first place , and payed too much.

Where do you stop is dead right. I started off doing some cleaning-up of the interior carpet and dash pad etc, then looked at a few areas of the outside where the paint on a previous small body repair in the late 70's was showing its age. Then I took a good look at the whole thing and thought even though it was straight enough and only had two small rust repairs needed about the size of a 5 cent piece each that it could really do with a tidy-up across the board.....

Started into it, found a few things like painted-over blackouts and other things that seemed odd about my ute (rivetted on sidestrips on the doors and rear panels only, console mounts etc), did a bit of homework about a few things that then led me here. Realised what I had in my possession and thought I really should give this thing what it deserves. The only thing I wont end-up doing is pulling the body completely off the chassis (doesn't need it except to replace the slightly perished mount rubbers).

I'm lucky I can do most of the work myself (given the time to do it), or at least have a panel beater neighbour who is easily enticed with the right grog (afterwards of course) to get the panels dead straight before the paint. The paint itself and the spraypainter I'm more than happy to pay for as I have no real exposure to using 2 pack. I reckon I'll get out of it cheap at 12-15K all up including EFI stroker engine and rebuilt TH400 (main cost of the engine was the COME racing crank kit and the engine machining - $4.5K including the reco'd heads), and the auto (basic kit through it, no major issues for $1450 including a new dominator converter) as I'd rather pay someone who does them for a living to get it right first time so both of the big dollar items apart from the paint. There wont be much on the ute that hasn't either been reco-d or replaced or repaired back to "as new" when it is all over. I am lucky I started with something that was in very good nick to begin with and with the preventative work that has and will be done on the rest of should see me out in 30 years time....

I'd hate to be paying someone for the time it takes to do some of this stuff properly. Stuff that isn't fun like sand blasting bits and pieces, rims etc, cleaning and removing old paint and years of built up crud (the red sand staining was interesting in some areas from the many years my wife and I spent in the NT and Western Qld) from underneath. Single income now with a 2.5 y.o son doesn't leave a hell of a lot of $$ for this sort of thing and I guess that (in relation to the point being made about how many unfinished projects end-up on the market) I am lucky that mine wont (as I've set a timetable of events and $$ that is easy enough to keep to), but I do understand people getting half way in and then losing time and/or interest and then flogging-off what is left just to be rid of it.

So much for a quick neaten up of mine... I wouldn't change a thing though.
    Last edited by Taily; 30-12-2012 at 01:20 PM.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Value of a Sandman or The Never Ending Story

Split from another post where members are talking about the reason for the increase (true or inflated) on the asking price of a Sandman, or other classic cars.

It has been interesting to see over the past 4 years that I have been watching the price increase for rust and salvageable parts, others could clarify like Ozbox, Adam etc.
    What seems to drive the price is that people pay high dollar, therefore they justify to the market the value, also as I have been in the process of restoring I find that suppliers and trades people charge a lot of money for their craft - I put this down to a number of things like demand, turn over and skills shortage.

Quote Originally Posted by thatotherguy View Post
    ...Speaking of unfinished projects i was talking to another forum member tonight and we havent seen any progress photo's of Blockers van for quite sometime ,so come on Blocker your the one who got us all enthused, whats going on with your project ?
    I know it has been really quite hasn't it?!?
    No interest has been lost at all, there has just been a huge change in priorities of late which is a part of life. Without going into too much detail (because the internet is a very public place) in the past year I have had to change career to accommodate the times I can spend with me two strapping young boys - this means I have changed from a 9-5 home every night career to a fly in fly out club member - which has it's own inherent challenges.
    The project is still under way with the body in the shop waiting for it's turn for body work. Engine has been built, trans built, a lot of components sorted and some need cleaning. The next big thing is the body work and getting the chassis blasted and prepared.

Even with all these things, it costs a hell of a lot of money to restore a car. Parts are old and need to be sourced and refurbished - so I can see why the price is higher than it was 10 years ago

Thread Information