Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blank Chassis (No number)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Blank Chassis (No number)

Hello All,

I have heard numerous times now that if you had smashed or damaged your Sandman and the chassis was no longer repairable you could acquire a replacement chassis from GMH & certain dealerships in the late 70s early 80s. If this is true did the new replacement chassis have a different No. or did they leave it blank or restamp your original No. back on.

Question: if someone was to acquire a new chassis with no number and that person owned a genuine Sandman with a different chassis under it, does the RTA or relevant authority restamp the original number back on or do they put an alternative Number on it.
    Regards
    Rod

Banned
    They were available. As for the re-stamping the number, not sure on the legalities of doing it these days. Best to ask someone with an actual legal background.

Sandman Guru
    As above, chassis came blank. I've had a WB tonner with one, and a friend actually bought a brand new one in 1988-9. He bought it with a receipt from the GMH dealer as a HQ chassis (it was a WB one) to put under a HQ tonner cab. When you went to register them you had to go via the Police who'd check it out and issue you with a number to get stamped onto the rail by an accredited place (usually the blue-slip issuer). Number too the form (using NSW as an example):

NyyxxxxP. N is NSW, yy is the year, xxxx is a sequential number for engine or chassis numbers issued in the State for that year, and P means Police.

Banned
    Best bet is to not buy a sandman with the wrong chassis and then try to make it matching numbers by re-stamping a chassis. Especially a white ute that had been on eBay 15 times and the subject of about 5 seperate threads on this forum.

I'm not trying to cover the fact that the ute I bought has not got the original chassis under it, I am just trying to find out what is the best way to bring it back to its most origanal form and by not breaking the law?
    Regards
    Rod

Banned
    Re-reading your post, the identity of the sandman is now the number of the current chassis. You can't re-use the old number as there is no way of knowing where the old chassis is. It may be under another car somewhere. That is re-birthing by another name.

The best thing to do (in my opinion) is to leave it as is and rebuild the car as you want it.

If you have bought the car for an investment for the future hoping that the value of a Sandman will bring you a windfall in the future, it will not happen (I don't believe you have).

Build to your budget and enjoy that car for its history and pleasure it brings you and others. As for authenticity, try and track down some original owner history, people love to hear stories of how the classic came to be where it is now.

Nice to know HK1837, I can get my hands on a HJ chassis that has been sand blastered and powder coated black.
    Regards
    Rod

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by xxx-sandman-xxx View Post
    Nice to know HK1837, I can get my hands on a HJ chassis that has been sand blastered and powder coated black.
    Don't get too hung up on it not having its original chassis, it is only a 6cyl example and bugger all will be left original in the end. Just don't spend a fortune on it - save that exercise for a matching numbers L31 M21/M41 example. All I can say is do it to suit yourself, as long as you build it to appeal to at least 50% of any audience you won't have any issues. My motto in this area is never say you'll never sell it, sh!t happens! So for example don't paint it a polarising colour like candy apple pink with blue stripes and green trim or something silly like that!

Quote Originally Posted by hk1837 View Post
    so for example don't paint it a polarising colour like candy apple pink with blue stripes and green trim or something silly like that!
    where do i get one of those

i want one!!!!
    HQ Glacier White Belmont Ute
    Wanted Lanspeed accessories for Holden Grey engines, twin carb manifolds, extractors, rocker cover, 3 speed floor shift.

Thread Information