Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blank Chassis (No number)

Rod, if I were you, I would be quizzing the guy I bought the ute from. He may remember where he got the car from and the original chassis might be sitting on another farm in SA in a damaged condition. I wouldn't be asking questions about rebirthing or unstamped frames on an open forum, your intentions may be misconstrued.
    HQ Glacier White Belmont Ute
    Wanted Lanspeed accessories for Holden Grey engines, twin carb manifolds, extractors, rocker cover, 3 speed floor shift.

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by xxx-sandman-xxx View Post
    Nice to know HK1837, I can get my hands on a HJ chassis that has been sand blastered and powder coated black.
    Don't get too hung up on it not having its original chassis, it is only a 6cyl example and bugger all will be left original in the end. Just don't spend a fortune on it - save that exercise for a matching numbers L31 M21/M41 example. All I can say is do it to suit yourself, as long as you build it to appeal to at least 50% of any audience you won't have any issues. My motto in this area is never say you'll never sell it, sh!t happens! So for example don't paint it a polarising colour like candy apple pink with blue stripes and green trim or something silly like that!

Mmm you learn by your mistakes, I should have done some more research before jumping into it. Won't make the same mistake twice, It will still be a nice ute when finished it will give me some more experience on these vehicles until I can find myself a better example Sandman ute with 308 and full matching No. (I maybe waiting along time to find it) but shit happens?
    Regards
    Rod

Banned
    Yeah I would like to find the same thing! They just don't seem to turn up often though. Panelvans seem to turn up every other week.

Quote Originally Posted by hk1837 View Post
    so for example don't paint it a polarising colour like candy apple pink with blue stripes and green trim or something silly like that!
    where do i get one of those

i want one!!!!
    HQ Glacier White Belmont Ute
    Wanted Lanspeed accessories for Holden Grey engines, twin carb manifolds, extractors, rocker cover, 3 speed floor shift.

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick61 View Post
    where do i get one of those

i want one!!!!
    It'll be cheap when you find it!

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by xxx-sandman-xxx View Post
    Mmm you learn by your mistakes, I should have done some more research before jumping into it. Won't make the same mistake twice, It will still be a nice ute when finished it will give me some more experience on these vehicles until I can find myself a better example Sandman ute with 308 and full matching No. (I maybe waiting along time to find it) but shit happens?
    Don't get too discouraged, in the end you are better off with the plates saying it was once a Sandman than it being a column shift base model Holden ute! Same sort of deal that the plates say GTS rather than Belmont, or GTR rather than S or SL/R rather than S. If you build a nice ute out of it, the fact it was a Sandman may be the thing that sees someone pay good $ for it rather than walk away. Doesn't matter a damn if you are not selling it though!

A good Sandman mockup will still pull good dollars. You've got one better than a mockup and one less than a full matching numbers so you'll still do alright. The $40-50k asking prices on some Sandman's are false inflation. A $10k Sandman with $25k in resto costs will be extremely lucky to get its money back. Your low outlay for the car, a $4000 donor car for all the missing bits and $10k in paint could very well get you most of your money back if shit hits the fan and you need to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    It'll be cheap when you find it!
    Why will it be cheap when I find it? Are they non existent and all rusted out now (non repairable)
    Regards
    Rod

That was in response to the candy apple pink, blue stripes and green trim. Byrons not just all encyclopaedia, he cracks a joke every now and again too.

Thread Information