Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB HX or HZ Sandman

Learner Driver

WTB HX or HZ Sandman

Looking for a HX or HZ Sandman. Must be original manual. Don't care too much if it's 253 or 308 but would prefer 308. I have seen fully restored vans go for $30k+ and this is way over budget. Basically i'm looking for something reasonably clean and driveable but not fully restored. The plan is to fix it up as funds permit. So how much would be a reasonable amount to spend and how much should I budget for this sort of thing? I pretty much only ever see Sandmans fully restored or absolute pigs which aren't really driveable so I don't know what a realistic target is.

i think you will need to spend at least 10 grand plus for something half decent otherwise you will end up spending more on a pile of rust bucket

Sandman Guru
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-S...item2578f9f84c

This one is probably over-priced as it appears to have a HQ chassis and it is only a 253. But from photos it appears to be a decent car that s complete and registered and driveable. HX will be a better value option for you than HZ. I'd budget on $20k for something basically original, 308 and registered. Probably will still need some work, paint might not be perfect and you could leave it or go further on it.

If anyone is interested in that one, I am not too far from Dandenong and can check it out for you. I can always pretend that I'm a real customer!!
    HQ Glacier White Belmont Ute
    Wanted Lanspeed accessories for Holden Grey engines, twin carb manifolds, extractors, rocker cover, 3 speed floor shift.

Learner Driver
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/vi...d=140898558385

Not as clean as I would like but is this a good buy for say 10k?

Gee thats a lot of money for something that needs a full rebuild but looks like sandman prices are starting to get out of reach

Banned
    I think the days of finding good unrestored panelvans are gone. These days it's a case of buying the s$&tbox that's the least stuffed that is available. Then you have to pay 8 times what it's worth.

hz on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier 73 View Post
    Gee thats a lot of money for something that needs a full rebuild but looks like sandman prices are starting to get out of reach
    just a quick note my wife and i today cleaned up this sandman,it came up a treat it really just needs a bit of blue sprayed on the primered spots ,we put the tailgate back on the full rear bumper and tailights back in ,all it is missing is one tailight surround and front seats and door trims,it is one of the best spec hz you will find it is 308 4spd factory power steer and electric windows ,what we didnt know until we cleaned it up it is matching numbers motor (painted blue)and chassis and tags it has never been smashed or changed chassis etc underneath is perfect 2 small bubbles of rust in the sill the size of 1cent piece, the twin light front also has the factory fuse next to the wiper motor for the relay inside the dash is unmarked and after pulling the carpet out the front floors are perfect ,i would guess i could put a battery in and thi would start and drive i could get it ready for rego in a weekend ,what my point is if you were buying one and were going to spend good money on one why not start with factory top of the line itll pay in the long run ,if someone was looking at 2 similar vans i know which one id take ,thanks Paul

Last edited by Blocker; 23-12-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 78opaline sandman View Post
    just a quick note my wife and i today cleaned up this sandman,it came up a treat it really just needs a bit of blue sprayed on the primered spots ,we put the tailgate back on the full rear bumper and tailights back in ,all it is missing is one tailight surround and front seats and door trims,it is one of the best spec hz you will find it is 308 4spd factory power steer and electric windows ,what we didnt know until we cleaned it up it is matching numbers motor (painted blue)and chassis and tags it has never been smashed or changed chassis etc underneath is perfect 2 small bubbles of rust in the sill the size of 1cent piece, the twin light front also has the factory fuse next to the wiper motor for the relay inside the dash is unmarked and after pulling the carpet out the front floors are perfect ,i would guess i could put a battery in and thi would start and drive i could get it ready for rego in a weekend ,what my point is if you were buying one and were going to spend good money on one why not start with factory top of the line itll pay in the long run ,if someone was looking at 2 similar vans i know which one id take ,thanks Paul
    So this is your Van your selling?
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140898558385

Regards, Smooth

Thread Information