Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust removal with molasses

Smile Rust removal with molasses

Hi all set up a molasses dip on the weekend for removing rust from parts .set it up saturday and left it for one day,sunday i put in all the bumper brackets radiator, plate and heaps of other pieces.It started to bubble within an hour .I removed a couple of pieces today to have a look and couldn't believe how clean they were it is supposed to take weeks. 1 part molasses to 10 parts water in a wheely bin and your away its good to think that something is removing rust instead of promoting it while your doing other stuff.

Only bad thing is it won't remove paint

When you remove pieces from the molasses bath, give them a scrub with a scourer pad in fresh water using a full bucket with a capful of white king in it. The white king neutralises the acid in the molasses. Never never never put aluminium in the molasses, it will eat it! The same goes for door handles and mirror mounts which are made from die cast zinc or mazac. The beauty of using molasses over spirits of salts(muriatic acid or dilute hydrochloric acid) is that you can leave something in the molasses for weeks and it will be ok but the acids will eat it all away.
    HQ Glacier White Belmont Ute
    Wanted Lanspeed accessories for Holden Grey engines, twin carb manifolds, extractors, rocker cover, 3 speed floor shift.

Cruiser
    Dont suppose you did before and after pics

Sorry no photos ,thanks for that info i will have to buy some white king .I just had another look this arvo and the results are amazing,just threw in an old block and tackle and some old dingo traps to see how they go.

Sandman Guru
    My mate swears by it. Uses it for old motorcycle tanks etc. And uses the mollasses in a 44 as a sink for his compressed air, runs a coil through it to condense moisture into a trap at the base.

Learner Driver
    guy here in town started one up with tanks and a special mix, takes paint off if you leave it long enough.
    i had my whole torana shell put in a tank with it a while ago and currently have a new roof for my ute sitting in a tank at the moment. great way getting the rust out.

How good would that be no rust, no paint stripping it doesn't get any better than that.

Learner Driver
    is a great way to do a car. wish i had kept the torana as it is a nice place to start.

wow i use to eat this all the time at farm, loved the stuff fresh from the 44 into the troughs, who would ever know
    Happy Go Lucky
    Few Toys
    '' You only Live Once, it aint a rehearsal, so give ya best''
    I do swing both ways i like men and women - just seeing who reads this hahaha

Thread Information