Thread: HJ Van told was a sandman but not so sure now.

Learner Driver

HJ Van told was a sandman but not so sure now.

Hi Guys
    Bit of a dilemma, bought this van 6 years ago, guy told me it was authentic sandman i believed him and tucked it away in the hay shed for a rainy day. the day has come and its time to start work on her but I'm now not so sure its a sandman or a special order van. 1974, HJ (tags reads 74 on one,75 on other code-TE)
    Model HJ8WM70
    Body 338753B
    Trim 1890 19V
    Paint 568 15953
    VIN/CHAS 8M70TE H338753J
    AHJ07067B
    ENG QT598151
    L31, M21, GV4
    GVW2200KG
    seats 2
    Tyre placard #9930173no
    No signs of full roof lining no clips on back above door, not sure on console brackets as new carpet put in by somebody else previous. has no XX7 or XU3 but is Brisbane build so have i just got a good van with gts options?
    It has Gts dash, wheel and rims, dual exhaust, no windows and even front spoiler- unfortunately smashed by tilt tray. These are all things somebody can add i know.

Some clarification would be nice thanks.

Sandman Guru
    Not a Sandman, just a normal HJ Holden van with a few options. Nothing unusual option wise and not a special order. The only things it has which were not possible as assembly plant fitment are the console if it has one and the dual exhaust.
    Only one tag gives you the vehicles year: the ADR tag which should be 12/74. The E means 1975 model not year, which for HJ is 9/74 through to 8/75.

Learner Driver
    Yeah it has a console, Damn oh well only paid 3300 for it so not at a loss, will make a nice replica then.

Sandman Guru
    As a non-Sandman HJ van optiuoned with 308 4spd and buckets it will actually be much rarer than a Sandman, so i'd restore it as such. It'll never be worth what a Sandman in the same condition is but will probably hold more value done essentially stock rather than as a Sandman replica.

Quote Originally Posted by 74hj View Post
    Yeah it has a console, Damn oh well only paid 3300 for it so not at a loss, will make a nice replica then.
    Nice... popular combination back in the mid seventies.. Mandarine Red with black trim and 308 4 speed. I'd do as Byron suggests and restore it as optioned HJ van. You can leave the GTS dash, steering wheel, wheels etc on it, you can even leave the console in it and fit some GTS guards as these could be Dealer fitted to new cars back then and often were to get the sale over the line.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Banned
    The bloke who bought it new probably believed he bought a Sandman! Nice van though.

Sandman Guru
    I'd say it was most likely built to order than as plant stock. 308 engined manual HJ outside of GTS or Sandman are normally always customer order.

Thread Information