Thread: Advice please

Learner Driver

Advice please

Hi all. I'm new here, so please be gentle on me. I'm wanting/needing to buy a sandman. I have been looking for the past 6 months, and I am a little confused. I would like to get a van which is in good condition with not too much to do to get it on the road ( prefer hz ). I don't care what the paint is like, and would probably prefer to fit out the Back in my own style. I have seen a lot of vans on eBay/car sales/trading post. Some of these vans claim to be genuine, but the compliance plates have been removed and shown in different pics. Would these plates be off a genuine van and sold with a basic panel van ? Is there a way of telling whether these plates belong to the car and each other ? Is there a better site than the previously mentioned to see what else is available ? What sort of price should I expect to pay ? Cheers

Hey Sam welcome mate and everyone will be gentle. The people here are like predators, they will play with you first before they hunt

Yes some people sell (on trading websites) ID plates but steer well clear of that stuff because that is re birthing and illegal. There is no way to tell if a particular body has come from a set of ID plates (unlike earlier Holdens) so your best bet is take your time in looking and be prepared to wait until the right one comes along for you and do your research before laying down the money.

Everyone on mysandman will help you, if you come across a car you want some help in identifying just ask it's best to provide photos as well as ID plate details.

You could go down the replica Sandman path unless you have a real desire for a genuine Sandman.

Learner Driver
    Thank blocker. Yeah, my heart is set on a genuine sandman. I am hoping to pay around $20k and do some minor work myself. I'll keep looking.

Welcome dude! Im sure with $20K in your fist you will find exactly what you are looking for. Be sure to run the numbers past HK1837 before you buy. We love pics on mysandman so if you find a potential purchase or even a bucket of pus drop some pics (minimal info though so you don't get your grass cut)

be patient... it will turn up
    BQZ

You just missed a perfect one, in Wagga, HZ1978 had one for sale, they do come up reasonably regularly but this one was very good, and had most of the expensive portion of work completed. It has been sold to a collector which is good....

Good luck and to the forums

Cheers Jennie
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Learner Driver
    Hi Jennie. I know. I spoke to the guy for ages. He did a mighty fine job restoring it to the point it was. I was very keen but won't have cash for another month or so. My loss :(

Try and get a look at a regular HZ to see what original rivets on an Id plate look like. The chassis number on the Id plate should also match the number on the chassis.
    If you find the right van at a bargain price, don't plaster it all over the forums while humming and ha-ing about it. Lots of lurkers around and it could get snavelled from under your nose. If you need any verification send a PM. Byron (hk1837) would be the most knowledgable but most of us regulars will be able to help out in a pinch. Only spread the good news after you've paid for it.

Thread Information