Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Insurance Time

Insurance Time

It's insurance time again and I am currently with Shannons for the Sandman.

They won't budge on the 30k agreed value which I want to bump up a bit.

Can anyone recommend another insurer for classic cars?

Hi Ian

You could try Lumley special Vehicles PH: 133 578.
    (I would give you 30k for it. haha.)

cheers
    Rob

Cruiser
    You could try Vigil.....I haven't dealt with them but they are supposed to be Shannons opposition. Worth a call at least.
    I've got my hot rod insured with Shannons for 50K...my Impala for 30K...and the HJ van on laid up insurance for 15K and never had an argument.....perhaps drive the van to your local office, if its close by, and have a chat with them over the counter...its better than over the phone and perhaps, once they've seen it...they may change their mind.
    Last edited by GTS; 02-06-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HZSandman View Post
    It's insurance time again and I am currently with Shannons for the Sandman.

They won't budge on the 30k agreed value which I want to bump up a bit.

Can anyone recommend another insurer for classic cars?
    Had the same problem with Shannons with my XU1. However I sent them some photos of the car and details and they insured it for what I wanted. Maybe you need to do the same.

Sent pics in and they said 30k again. I said what else would you like to see done to the van? It is completely restored so I not sure what else they are looking for. :errf:

the problem is the market isnt up there like it was and to be realistic an hz sandman restored is worth 30k at the moment...insurance companies only go on the market that can be proven like auctions that are real...ebay prices or australian muscle car sales are not recognised.
    ive got an hq 350 gts coupe which was seen and valued by shannons during the boom..85k was the best i could get even when there had been another sold for 100k and our car left the other hands down for originality...
    just recently i rang shannons and lumleys to insure a comparible car and the best i could get was 65k..

and thats simply because of the market...

Seems like 30k is tops. Tried LSV and that was there top as well. Will wait for the quote now and see if they are cheaper than Shannons. I think they are all a bit behind in these things and that it takes a few years for their stats to catch up.

Seems like 30k is tops. Tried LSV and that was there top as well. Will wait for the quote now and see if they are cheaper than Shannons. I think they are all a bit behind in these things and that it takes a few years for their stats to catch up.
    G'day Mate,
    I previously had my Sandman insured with Shannons for $25k for $350 a year last year. A mate of mine recomended I ring Lumleys. Had to send them pics but they agreed to insure it for $35k for $250 a year so I can't understand why they won't help you out as your car is the last & the best of them?

Hey Glen. I mentioned to LSV that they have a Sandman insured for $35 and they just said that market rates have fallen recently. Sounds like crap to me. I think it depends who you speak to on the day.

I'll be interested to see the quote which they still have not got to me a week later.

RACV (or NRMA in NSW) are only $172 if the car is on club plates. Combine that with an annual rego of $37 and it starts to look very appealing. I could save nearly $1000 a year just on insurance and rego if I change to club rego.

The new changes to club rego (log book for 90 days a year) are meant to come in this year.

G'day Mate,
    Must have been lucky on the day when I rang them. Still can't work out how who copped a cheaper quote than me when your car shits on mine.

Hey Glen. I mentioned to LSV that they have a Sandman insured for $35 and they just said that market rates have fallen recently. Sounds like crap to me. I think it depends who you speak to on the day.

I'll be interested to see the quote which they still have not got to me a week later.

RACV (or NRMA in NSW) are only $172 if the car is on club plates. Combine that with an annual rego of $37 and it starts to look very appealing. I could save nearly $1000 a year just on insurance and rego if I change to club rego.

The new changes to club rego (log book for 90 days a year) are meant to come in this year.

Thread Information