Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HZ Sandman

It's a rockin'
    looks great

I've had a van in the past with windows in the side and I loved them, I fitted a full set of bubbles and it really set the van off. I came extremely close to putting the bubbles in my HZ but just couldn't bring myself to cut those pristine sides. When it comes to reverse out of nose in parking they are invaluable.

I have welded up the one window mine had in it... I guess we will see how that looks when the paint is applied. If it was four I would definitly go the bubble windows, I think on the right van they look way better than the flat glass...

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

I have welded up the one window mine had in it... I guess we will see how that looks when the paint is applied. If it was four I would definitly go the bubble windows, I think on the right van they look way better than the flat glass...

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    If it was four I would definitly go the bubble windows, I think on the right van they look way better than the flat glass...
    I agree, bubbles are definitely the go if you want to improve the look of a Van already fitted with side panel glass. Some look very tough if they have the right amount of bulge and the tint isn't an odd colour.
    They only run second to no side panel glass in my mind. I had bubbles in my first HT Van and only bailed out of it when I found a mint black full panel Van to replace it.
    An issue that did arise was people writing words or drawing pictures on them when dusty. Not so great on perspex.

Regards, Smooth

Cruiser
    Looks great Jeza, the windows seems to suit that colour as well in it Windsor Blue? van looks in pretty good nic, good job !

This was my good mates van back in the late 90's that got me in to my first van.
    He bought it of another mate that had it for a few years and i belive that it was used at the canberra race track to tow the starting gates around the track
    When my mate bought he put the dual gas tanks in it, the honda seat and he swaped the gts wheels for dragway 5 spokes
    We striped the body back and he had it beated and painted
    He sold it to a girl that scuba dived and i remember seeing it around 2001-2002 at the all holden day here in canberra and it had a lot of rust coming out then and it was converted to a auto
    I always wanted it but i bought a windowless sandman and then he decided to sell it and then i seen it come up for sale i could not bring my self to go have a look as i would want it.
    it would be good to see some more pics of it
    steve

Sandman camping at Lake Elizabeth - Dec 2012 2.jpg

Sandman camping at Lake Elizabeth - Dec 2012.jpg

wow, its good to hear a bit of history about it. I'd like to hear more! I bought it from the girl who reckoned she'd had it for about 10 or 12 years.

I've given it a bit of a 'tidy up' and removed the rust from seams, sills and rear quarters by a mate of mine. He did a great job matching and blending the paint through repairs and also resprayed the roof as it had a lot of peel. He also resprayed the black outs which aren't right but I'll live with it for the time being... My plan is to enjoy using for the next couple of years, then remove the windows, put a pair of GTS guards on (I know they’re not a factory option, but I love them and have got a great original pair in the shed) and then complete paint job.

I've put some GTS rims back on, put stripes on and have been looking for some original seats to replace the Honda seats. I will leave it on gas and leave the 308 and auto as well. I don’t have any plans for it in the short term other than the seats, perhaps some door trims and putting in a small removable dickie seat and reverse camera/GPS that I got for xmas.

I haven't really got any more good pics at the moment but will take some. I'll post a couple of pics from when we took it camping last week.

Like to hear a bit more about it if there is any more you know about it? Sounds like it spent the last 20 years around Canberra. Its a Brisbane built one so I assume that it would have been sold through a Qld or Northern NSW dealership, as I would guess that anywhere else in NSW or ACT would have been manufactured in Sydney? Cheers, Jez
    Last edited by Blocker; 02-01-2013 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Double post by Jez...merged

Great looking van Jez!! Too many vans are off the road getting some TLC...i suggest you enjoy the old girl to the fullest and cruise heaps!!

Thread Information