Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: possible hq sandman panel van

Learner Driver

possible hq sandman panel van

nice vans!!!!!! hi im new to this sight after hearing of a hq sandman panel van in need of a new home in very good cond so im told yet to be seen for $7000 it has windows in the sides like will.co's are they original?? also has a chev 327 i think maybe 350? did they come out with a chev?? im getting excited after reading all the info on here as it has alot of the things that u have all mentioned windows were throwing me off as i thought they were all windowless sandmans any1 could of dropped a chev in it i wouldnt complain although i assume it aint factory any ideas on what a sandman hq is worth?? cheers your info to these questions would be much appreciate!!

How long is a piece of string could be worth anything depending on cond but they are rare so i have been told

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    nice vans!!!!!! hi im new to this sight after hearing of a hq sandman panel van in need of a new home in very good cond so im told yet to be seen for $7000 it has windows in the sides like will.co's are they original?? also has a chev 327 i think maybe 350? did they come out with a chev?? im getting excited after reading all the info on here as it has alot of the things that u have all mentioned windows were throwing me off as i thought they were all windowless sandmans any1 could of dropped a chev in it i wouldnt complain although i assume it aint factory any ideas on what a sandman hq is worth?? cheers your info to these questions would be much appreciate!!
    Clint,

Welcome. Start a new thread with photos of the plates from the van and we can discuss them with you.

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Learner Driver
    will do mauser if i buy it! all i know is the bloke does old eh's, hr's and a few other models up he did this 1 for his mrs and she dont like it it has a rust size of a 50 cent peice on the rear quarter and original paint i was going to buy a xe factory 351 which are very rare now after reading this thread you's could have converted me to a holden man lol i have seen the van yrs ago but there was no chance of getting it so never inquired weather it was a sandman suppose i just look for xx7 on the compliance plate i really hope it is on there!

Sandman Guru
    Side windows option A09 was available on any HQ-WB van. Just because it was a Sandman doesn't make it special, people still put side windows in them. If they were factory fitment or aftermarket or dealer fitment - they still got them (the term windowless is a silly term too, either they are a van or a van with windows).

No Sandman was ever factory fitted with a Chev. There were some HQ utes built with 350 Chevs, and a few utes and vans dealer built by swapping drivelines with a new GTS350 in their yards. As far as I know none of the dealer done stuff were Sandmans though. Too late as well, 350 engines were all but gone by the time HQ Sandman came around, really only Statesmans and the odd XW8 Kingswood were being built with 350 at the time.

For value, start at scrap value and work up to big $. It is all condition dependant. If you PM me all numbers off the HQ's ID plates i'll see if I can rule it in or out as a Sandman - a start at least. Make sure you get all info off the BODY and VIN plates, and the chassis number and seating capacity off the ADR plate. Also get the engine number off the Chev engine and i'll see what it is for you. It is on the driver's side, just forward of the cylinder head on a pad that sticks forward from the block. See if you can get the cast number too, it is basically diagonally opposite the engine number on the sloped area behind the passenger's side head. Will look like 3970010 or 3956618 or something along those lines.

--- Updated ---

will do mauser if i buy it! all i know is the bloke does old eh's, hr's and a few other models up he did this 1 for his mrs and she dont like it it has a rust size of a 50 cent peice on the rear quarter and original paint i was going to buy a xe factory 351 which are very rare now after reading this thread you's could have converted me to a holden man lol i have seen the van yrs ago but there was no chance of getting it so never inquired weather it was a sandman suppose i just look for xx7 on the compliance plate i really hope it is on there!
    Don't rely upon XX7. Most Sandmans don't have it, and not all are XX7 anyway.

Learner Driver
    thx for the info... i have just got off the ph to the bloke he says nah its just a v8 4sp hq van with all gt stuff??? MAYBE IT IS? anyway he said not selling at the time been as it is in the middle of being sprayed purple and he wants more for it when its finished he said he aint going to give it away for chicken feed it only has a rust hole the size of a 20 cent piece (it must of shrunk haha) he did not want to talk about a price but will eventually be up for sale again... im very inpatient so i think i will buy the factory xe 351 4sp! if i find its for sale again and dont have the funds would any1 be interested in it? cheers

Hi Clint,

No the windows are all after market additions so im led to beleive, well they left the factory without them anyway.

Price wise...piece of string theory..Post some pics and more info such as vin and any other numbers you can find..

Good luck mate

Sandman Guru
    Some side windowas are factory fitment. I have a production broadcast sheet from one of this Forum member's cars to prove it!

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Some side windowas are factory fitment. I have a production broadcast sheet from one of this Forum member's cars to prove it!
    HK1837 is it correct to clarify that side windows were factory fitted for HQ & HJ (as well as dealer) but HX/Z were dealer fitted only?
    Last edited by Blocker; 29-10-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Wasn't there a couple of van bodies with windows in the photo of partially assembled Holdens on the train?

Clint, is the XE a van as well? I was under the impression that the only XE's with a factory v8 were the ESP Ghia's. Be careful with paying extra based on the fact that things are "allegedly" factory fitted. Sellers seem to love those words even though they have no proof.

Thread Information