Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weekend's work

Sandman Guru

Weekend's work

This is a few hours spent on the weekend on the Premier.

TH400 on transmission stand ready to go back in. These things are great! Saves your back and make it so much easier.

box1.jpg
    box2.jpg

New dominator converter in box, small stall to counteract 2.78:1 diff:

converter.jpg

Original starter with production broadcast sheet picking slip sticker still attached:

starter.jpg

Back of engine, you can see the new welch plugs. This is totally original, overspray everywhere:

engine1.jpg

All back in. You can see where the idiot before me sprayed black everywhere. I have cleaned up the front floors and above the box with thinners to get it off, but you can see the rear floors where the furry acrylic black is. I'll water blast it all off, like I did with the transmission crossmember. The silver on the crossmember is the original rustproofing (James in Newcastle), this is one of the reasons why the car is so good still. I'll clean off the engine crossmember when I remove the lower control arms to put the NOS ones on with new lower balljoints. The originals have had the lowers replaced about 9,000kM ago in 1999 but the rubbers have perished. The hardest work will be the diff and fuel tank, getting all that muck off. I may remove them and get them soda blasted.

backin1.jpgbackin2.jpgbackin3.jpg

Lookin' good!
    Nunc est bibendum...

Sandman Guru
    One day this week i'll put the radiator, fan and shroud back in, add another 8.5L of sythetic DexronIII, 2 x bottles or corrosion inhibitor in the radiator and she'll be going again. Oh, and cut the top radiator hose and put a filter in it as the block will have dried out a bit so some scale will be loose.

I bought a NOS HQ-HJ vacuum heater switch for it a while back but have been reluctant to use it. But as luck has it, the 350/TH350 I bought last week has a good one on it so i'll use it.

All I need to do now is get the late HQ Rochester carby I have overhauled and put it on with an original HJ aircleaner, so I can bin the Holley on it.
    Get Dr Terry to finish the original master cylinder overhaul for me, get the rear wheel cylinders sleeved and put a kit through the front calipers (and put it all on).
    Also get Dr Terry to finish the VK HEI dizzy overhaul for me, and put it in with HEI coil, XE Falcon rotor and bridge the start and run wires at the ignition switch.

wish i had a nice big garage and a hoist :(
    BQZ

Sandman Guru
    My shed is big, but run out of space! To work on the Prem I have to move the CV8 to the house garage and park the Hilux outside. The shed currently houses 2 x HK GTS's, V2 CV8, HJ Premier, DR650, Bobcat, forklift, hoist and all my other cr@p! I need to build some racking outside under the awnings to put all the wheels and tyres and long stuff like ladders, planks etc to free up some space! Next move though will be to get rid of 10 tonnes of topsoil down the front so I can move the car trailer down there out of my way.

yeah i managed get access to some hardstand and a garage a few months back. what did i go and do? fill it ALL with cars, parts and crap. i always envy the blokes that have a big shed with only one or two cars in it. Id just fill it so it looks small again!
    BQZ

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    The shed currently houses 2 x HK GTS's, V2 CV8, HJ Premier, DR650, Bobcat, forklift, hoist and all my other cr@p!
    I wish i had your problems!!!

Man, i envy you with your hoist though :(

Sandman Guru
    I can line you up with a guy that can sell you one fitted and certified for around $2000-$2200. Aussie made. Mine is a 2.5tonne but the 3tonne examples are around that price now. He is Hunter based but i'm sure he has collegues in Melbourne.

I forgot to mention, did everyone like the innovate way to hold the engine to the car without the box in place? 1st and 5th photos. Worked beautifully and didn't damage the original paint on the sump! And was stable as a rock with me jiggling the engine around removing and re-installing the exhaust manifolds (as the studs snapped off) and also the flex plate and welch plugs. Banging, prodding, twisting etc and it stayed as solid as a rock! I tell you what though, with one of these with air and steer, you would NEVER get the exhaust manifolds off without a hoist, an air ratchet, 2 x extension sockets and lots of swearing! That or pulling the whole top end apart leaning over the engine bay. From underneath it was tough, but no stiff back or neck or chipped paint.

If i had the room mate, i would be all over a hoist like a rash!

Up there for thinking using the ratchet tie down straps...thats bound to save a few knuckles and pints of blood across the board!!

Banned
    A mate of mine told me to use a stocking over the radiator outlet or inlet as a filter. Might work and save cutting your radiator hose up. Have never tried it to see how well it worked.

Thread Information