Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single or Twin system

Banned

Single or Twin system

I just noticed a few people are running single exhaust systems on their vans/utes. Curious to know who runs what and why?

Always twin for us

We just put a twin on the red van after painting underneath, it was meant to be single as standard on that particular van, but we like duel.....it sounds really good, not too loud, but loud enough....if i close my eyes it sounds exactly like our old yellow van.....lol.....memories....left off the chrome extensions until painted outside tho.
    Our yellow van is dual, and we will keep it that way only bring the extensions out the back and not the side, which would be less practical fumes wise but looks better to us....
    Last edited by jennie285; 31-05-2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: took out unrelated dribble

i just had a dual system fitted last week...removed the large single which was r/s anyhow....

i had to argue with the guy that does my exhausts as he wanted to fit a 2 in 2 out single muffler and i had a pair of stainless mufflers that i had taken off a wreck...

i won and i got my true dual system...no balance pipe..just 4 cylinders into each pipe..chevs sound great done this way.

Single 2.5 inch

Have run a single 2.5" stainless system for the last 10 years. At the time was give a range of recomendations that a single 2.5" system would give improved running over a twin 2.0" system which is what I had been running (replaced due to being rusted out), also recall reading some articles along those lines at the time...

Single system still sounds good but sometimes think I would have preferred to stick with a twin system with/without a balance pipe - not sure about the merits of a balance pipe? Single system may help if you you are trying to get historic/club rego? Will be interested to hear others thoughts.
    Last edited by AN5590; 31-05-2010 at 02:52 PM.

I much prefer the twin system myself.On my HZ i had them dumped behind the wheels which wasn't to bad but after driving to Geelong last year (resonance was awful) i put them straight out the back.
    Muffler shit itself so i went to single 3"

Once other motor gets finished and goes in, it'll be back to a twin system for sure.
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

i went with twin 2 inch and the mufflers i had because i wanted a certain note and look ...350 on gas so i dont need extra performance or economy...also 2 inch wont drone....i hate droning..

the guy that does my exhausts has done quite a few over the years for me and he is mostly spot on with his advice...but twice he has got it wrong,this van and my gto..hehehehe...

Banned
    Fair enough. I like twin and the bloke in Dubbo I go to makes them sound fat without being obnoxiously loud.
    I have also heard that a single system gives better power.

Just like to add one more thing, there is no such thing as noise pollution from a V8. Just music.
    Well thats what I reckon anyway.

2 inch dual system with the pipes dumping behind the wheels. Sounds great and looks awesome when just started with the smoke bouncing of the ground on each side. Also keeps the fumes out of the back when the tailgate is up.

How close are they to the ground?
    Because the fumes came in on mine on the way to the nats.(Could have been because of the roof spoiler but not sure).
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

Twin 2 inch on mine. No balance pipe. Mine come straight out the back. Love the sound, and definately love the look.:D

Thread Information