Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Sandman Ute Trailer

Paddy, you read my mind. I just cant deal with the lines of the square box ... its just not working with the H series curves ... at all. Im pretty sure ill just get some aluminium checkerplate to fill the draw bar gap and paint it black just to blend it in.
    I like that idea with making a panel box very much......but im thinking leaving it as is may be the best option. I think swap meets for rusted panels might be the go. The spares i have are too good to cut up.....but i'll brainstorm the idea and see what comes from it.....thanks mate, appreciate the ideas and input

So....its a somewhat momentous occasion....the first time in this build that its sat on it own 2 wheels...or is that 3 wheels?? either way, it rolls around very well and quite easily.

For those that havent played with the repro tailgates....DONT.....far from the quality it should be. Missing holes for the panel that holds the opening mechanism, no holes for the rubber seal at the edges.....is taller on one side than the other.....struggled to line it up and had to concede defeat.....no matter what i did, its at least 5mm out of square (closer to the drivers side). Even if your original old one has rust and dints, spend the money or time repairing it .....at least the end result will ensure it'll sit true.

Just going through the wiring atm.....next is brake lines which should be faily straight forward...but wont count the chickens just yet. Then finish off the front bumper b

Hope y'll like what you see so far

Actually I agree that no box and a black fill in is an even better idea if you don't need a box. The front with the spare tyres mounted will look good on it's own and I'm not too sure that anything you put there won't clash with the lines of the trailer body.
    Paddy

Sandman...Just Drive It.!

Banned
    I am voting for a lower tool box with the centre of a bonnet for the lid. It will finish the front of the ute off flowing into the back of the tow vehicle. No tool box will draw your eye to the length of the draw bar,( which will make it great to tow) which detracts from the body work you have done.

I trying to work out how the tonneau cover is going to work?
    But I'm sure it will look even better with it fitted.

Why are you using the wrong tailgate hinges?
    They need to be HQ!

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_77HZ_Ute View Post
    Actually I agree that no box and a black fill in is an even better idea if you don't need a box. The front with the spare tyres mounted will look good on it's own and I'm not too sure that anything you put there won't clash with the lines of the trailer body.
    The box was originally an idea to keep tools and tie down straps in....or potential line it and make an esky out of it. Complicated body lines for sure to make it work seemlessly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    I am voting for a lower tool box with the centre of a bonnet for the lid. It will finish the front of the ute off flowing into the back of the tow vehicle. No tool box will draw your eye to the length of the draw bar,( which will make it great to tow) which detracts from the body work you have done.
    Fair point. I think i have an issue with the needed space between the spare wheels and the possible box. Theres got to be a vacant space to be able to take off the wheels when needed....something to think about. Maybe have the box hinged at the front so it tilts forward for access ....hmmm

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    I trying to work out how the tonneau cover is going to work?
    But I'm sure it will look even better with it fitted.

Why are you using the wrong tailgate hinges?
    They need to be HQ!
    Standard stretchy rope style and likely with push buttons in the channel that goes all the way around. I'll post a pic tomorrow of that. Its a standard style tonneau but extended about 450mm.
    Honestly....theyre the only ones i had on hand...will definitely source some hq ones
    Last edited by Alien DNA; 14-05-2017 at 12:13 AM.

Can you just box in the drawbar area and fit in a 150mm deep toolbox? Pick the tools you really need in there, fit them in foam cutouts to stop rattles?

You also need a mount on the drawbar where you can fit a Cantilever umbrella. There's nothing like your own personal shade in this country in the middle of summer.

Here ya go Inners......that channel is where the push button tarp will go. It has a lip so with a rubber lip under the tonneau cover, it should keep the majority of rain water out. Dont see myself using it in a down pour, but if it is out the rain, itll should help.

Its the same profile as what the utes originally came out with.

That's sweet mate, looks very good.
    Hopefully water doesn't sit there. I know the VY had drain tubes at the low point through to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by playwme View Post
    Can you just box in the drawbar area and fit in a 150mm deep toolbox? Pick the tools you really need in there, fit them in foam cutouts to stop rattles?

You also need a mount on the drawbar where you can fit a Cantilever umbrella. There's nothing like your own personal shade in this country in the middle of summer.
    I reckon that's a great idea. Shallow box with heaps of area. Cut-outs in foam will make it really organised and presentable, and you could have a cut-out area for a small box (small toolbox or recycled big socket set box) to put ad-hoc bits and pieces.

Maybe a neat period correct reverse cowl attached to the lid to break up the square lines.
    Paddy

Sandman...Just Drive It.!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien DNA View Post
    Here ya go Inners......that channel is where the push button tarp will go. It has a lip so with a rubber lip under the tonneau cover, it should keep the majority of rain water out. Dont see myself using it in a down pour, but if it is out the rain, itll should help.

Its the same profile as what the utes originally came out with.

My Hilux had a aluminium channel. There is a plastic strip sewn under the front edge of the tonneau that hooks in the channel. Dead simple and more or less water proof. It would stop more water than press studs I reckon.

Thread Information