Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandman Ute Trailer

Out of couristy can you just use the diff and springs that was in the ute instead of replacing it with an axle

Springs yes.....thats what i did. I just modified the spring saddles to suit a 45mm axle.....with suitable U bolts. Using the spring saddles, i was also able to mount the shocks exactly the same way it left the factory.

I could've figured out a way to use a diff housing, but it was easier to get a solid axle with a stub axle welded to it. Much like a camper trailer has. My one is rated at 1400kg so its more than enough for what i'll be using it for. Plus it come with disc brakes and HQ stud pattern.

Using the original chassis i found to be easier and the geometry for mounting the springs was already there....so it was less work.

image.jpg

Sandman Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien DNA View Post
    I wasn't aware there was a difference
    Oh hell yes, it's well defined.

Crazy people dont realise they are insane. People who are merely mad tend to wonder.

Springs yes.....thats what i did. I just modified the spring saddles to suit a 45mm axle.....with suitable U bolts. Using the spring saddles, i was also able to mount the shocks exactly the same way it left the factory.

I could've figured out a way to use a diff housing, but it was easier to get a solid axle with a stub axle welded to it. Much like a camper trailer has. My one is rated at 1400kg so its more than enough for what i'll be using it for. Plus it come with disc brakes and HQ stud pattern.

Using the original chassis i found to be easier and the geometry for mounting the springs was already there....so it was less work.

image.jpg
    I left my complete diff/springs/gas shocks in situ. One reason was the timeframe I had set myself to build the trailer (before I moved house) so not enough time, the other was as I would have nowhere to store a spare 3.36 salisbury at my new place it is convenient for the moment.

Tows well, carries well just probably not doing the crownwheel and pinion any favours as well as dragging an extra 100 odd kg around I otherwise wouldn't. I'll get around to it one day...
    Nunc est bibendum...

Quote Originally Posted by SLR_dave View Post
    Oh hell yes, it's well defined.

Crazy people dont realise they are insane. People who are merely mad tend to wonder.
    I must be a combination of column A & column B

Quote Originally Posted by Taily View Post
    I left my complete diff/springs/gas shocks in situ. One reason was the timeframe I had set myself to build the trailer (before I moved house) so not enough time, the other was as I would have nowhere to store a spare 3.36 salisbury at my new place it is convenient for the moment.

Tows well, carries well just probably not doing the crownwheel and pinion any favours as well as dragging an extra 100 odd kg around I otherwise wouldn't. I'll get around to it one day...
    I'm guessing it would have a better centre of gravity having that extra weight under the floor
    Last edited by Alien DNA; 18-02-2014 at 03:48 PM.

My trailer has the complete diff assembly under it. Even the fuel tank. Actually mine has a tow bar as well.
    I had to make a cover to encase the spinning diff yoke for rego.

Dont be scared to put pics up of your trailers guys

Dont be scared to put pics up of your trailers guys
    Feeling pretty outclassed by your effort mate....

image.jpg
    Nunc est bibendum...

Stood the ute rear wall up and reinforced it, added the weld ins and cut out and replated the rusted out sills and lower rear guards. The ute I made it out of was a Salt Ash swamp donkey that donated its driveline and interior to bolstering my ebay seller score. The front suspension and brakes were donated to a bloke around the corner from our old place for his hotrod build. The way I finished (a little rough but does the job) around thetop front I have left a square cut out for my ladder racks.

Painted in white acrylic until I see how much two pack I'll have left from my ute that I am about to paint tomorrow... Yay, only 3 years 1 month and 12 days since I took it off the road....

image.jpg
    Last edited by Taily; 18-02-2014 at 09:25 PM.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Thread Information