Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HQ Statesman

P Plater

Smile HQ Statesman

Hi all. I have not ventured onto this site for a while, infact i think i have only ever posted a handful of times but recently i acquired a car that i'd appreciate some information about. It's not a Sandman, nor even a van, (but i do own a WB 5 litre van ) so i hope you guys don't mind too much.
    Last week i literally stumbled upon a 74 HQ Statesman. I was doing a job out the back of Mackay and could see it's rather unique rear end from a distance, through the open doors of a large farm shed. I approached the old farmer and to my suprise, after talking for a few minutes and looking all around it he said YES when i asked him if it was for sale.

It had been shedded for 16 years. He pulled the motor out of it and completely pulled it apart 16 odd years ago, had all the rust cut out of it, repaired, painted and half put back together, rolled it back into the shed and left it there. It has no motor nor box but complete barring that. This thing is THE straightest thing i have ever seen, not a dent in it, a couple of tiny paint chips here and there is all. It is near perfect. And 99.9% rust free......just some tiny surface rust forming around the tops of the rear guards. On top of that, it gets better, it is fitted with what the one owner farmer tells me were all factory add ons by him......GTS dash, wheels and thick spoke steerer with GTS horn cap. Also has full power windows and aerial, with white interior with dark wood grain inserts. The black dashpad is perfect and in the boot in a box i found the original unmarked airchief tumble radio. It really is a beautiful car. I bought it basically as it was too good not to buy and want to use all the gear out of it in my van, but the guy i subby for wont let me do that and wants to rebuild it, which i think is probably the correct thing to do. Oh, it is a really bright, in your face aqua blue color, if anybody could tell me the factory name i'd be grateful.

Interestingly, on the id plate it only has the axle stamped (GU7). The space where the engine and trans id should be stamped is blank. The guy whom towed it for me, Vern, whom really seemed to know his stuff (and didn't want to take it off his truck) seemed to think this was normal. I'd love to know why. I was hoping it was a 350 but the wiring is wrong says Vern and it's a 308 trimatic.

I just wanted to share this with you guys, and i hope some of you get a kick out of this story. I have always loved the HQ the most of the series, there is just something about them. Oh, and how much did i pay? I can only get a grand out of my bank a day.........the day i payed the old farmer i could still afford a carton of delightful VB cans for the trip home.

Cheers guys. Rockape

Sandman Guru
    Good buying at those $. It is possibly Aquamarine in colour but get me the TRIM line and i'll tell you. If it is a 1974 Statesman and blank on the ENG and TRANS sections it will either be a Statesman and a 253 + trimatic or a Deville and 308 + trimatic as these were the standard drivelines for these 2 x models in 1974. You could option a 308 or 350 on the Statesman or a 350 on the Deville. The 350 also came with an M41 transmission. I don't know what the diff is as there was no GU7 code for HQ, all I can think it possibly may be is a very late HQ and they have stuffed up and used a HJ rear axle code in which case would make it 2.78:1. Only optional mechanical items got stamped.

As for the add ons, yes the farmer would have been able to option a U21 dash and sports steering wheel but not the GTS centre cap on the steering wheel. A dealer may have fitted the steering wheel for him if it was there new.

P Plater
    Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Good buying at those $. It is possibly Aquamarine in colour but get me the TRIM line and i'll tell you. If it is a 1974 Statesman and blank on the ENG and TRANS sections it will either be a Statesman and a 253 + trimatic or a Deville and 308 + trimatic as these were the standard drivelines for these 2 x models in 1974. You could option a 308 or 350 on the Statesman or a 350 on the Deville. The 350 also came with an M41 transmission. I don't know what the diff is as there was no GU7 code for HQ, all I can think it possibly may be is a very late HQ and they have stuffed up and used a HJ rear axle code in which case would make it 2.78:1. Only optional mechanical items got stamped.

As for the add ons, yes the farmer would have been able to option a U21 dash and sports steering wheel but not the GTS centre cap on the steering wheel. A dealer may have fitted the steering wheel for him if it was there new.
    Thanks heaps mate. I appreciate all your information.
    It is definately a trimatic according to the towey, whom really seemed to know his stuff. It rained here today so i just went down and took a heap of gear off it (panel shop right behind our yard) to keep it safe and away from sticky fingers. First real play i had with it and found some nice suprises. All the door cards are brand new (well re manufactured) still wrapped in bubble wrap, i had no idea. All four arm rests are there complete with their power windows switches and ash trays and are all in really good nick. Inside the top part of the console which is a storage compartment (i didnt even know that) are all the badges, lots of little blue and red ones, and a DEVILLE badge, so i guess that clears that up. The trim is a white/pearl color with swirls sort of patterned through it. Buckets are perfect with the wood grain burl plaques across their backs. Seats are filthy but in tack with all winders etc.
    Also i found the original books, i'll have a look through them later and tell you what i find out. It is a 74 model HQ, this is a very late model yes?

On a side note, one of the sets of HQ GTS wheels i came across recently comprise of 2 8's and 2 6's. The 8's have engraved in them 'not for road use'. Apart from the completely obvious, what does this mean? I have never seen this before. I only paid 200 for the 4, perhaps this is why heehee? If not for the road, then what, hose reels?

Again thanks for your info. I'll let you know what else i discover, if you're interested.
    Cheers, Rockape

We are always interested
    Good luck with the work ahead of you.

Sandman Guru
    If you want send me through the ID plate data and i'll decipher it all for you. Sounds like a Deville though.

Not for Road use was common on 8" mags in the day.

P Plater
    Cheers guys, thanks.

From the books i have only come up with a mystery and i think only two scenarios are possible. It's a HX Stato or the books are wrong?????

On the inner cover of the GMH Owners guide the following information is recorded-
    Reg- XON 341
    Model Name - HX
    Date of Aquisition - 4.5.77
    Vin- L373345
    Eng. No. - QL833432

Now the towey told me the doors were HQ by looking down them, and i am sure the plate said 74 HQ Statesman. Damn it i am confused now. I want to go back to the yard and check it all again.
    Wait, it has to be HQ because of the rear tail light set up and rear bar. It has the HQ Statesman nose but obviously that could have been fitted. HQ GTS dash too. Wtf would the books say 77 HX? Wrong ones perhaps? Wtf would an old farmer have the wrong books?

I'll take a photo of the id tags tomorrow guys, or at least record them and post them up. I'm dying to know.....

Thanks for the heads up on the wheels. I have 4 sets to refurb and just found a guy in town through a close friend whom will sand blast them for 60 bucks a rim. Wouldn't bother with the 8's if they were unusable. Does this stamp cause any dramas re tyre fitting- the shops refusing to fit them?

Cheers guys. Rockape

Easiest way to check if the books match is to check the last part of the VIN on the car for L373345. Body plate should have the build date on it as well.

--- Updated ---

That rego number from the books doesn't look like a QLD rego number either so not likely to be from a 1 owner Mackay vehicle.[COLOR="Silver"]

Cruiser
    Can't be from a Statesman as only early HQ's (production moved to Pagewood somewhere between 11/72 and 3/73) and 3/79 on HZ's were Elizabeth assembled, L373345 is 2/77 build, book must belong to some other car.

Just post up the numbers on the tags and a couple of pics of the car and we can soon tell you what you have.

$60 per rim for blasting is way high. I pay $25 and i reckon im getting taken

those buggers talk it up. Ive watched them do it. They can strip one side of a wheel in a couple minutes
    BQZ

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.jones View Post
    Can't be from a Statesman as only early HQ's (production moved to Pagewood somewhere between 11/72 and 3/73) and 3/79 on HZ's were Elizabeth assembled, L373345 is 2/77 build, book must belong to some other car.

Just post up the numbers on the tags and a couple of pics of the car and we can soon tell you what you have.
    Plus HX Statesman didn't have a 202 (not in the Aussie market anyway)!

Thread Information