Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am so confused HJ Sandman

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by chezzabeer View Post
    Thank you [MENTION=225]HK1837[/MENTION]
    All info I have read points at yes, but GMH totally stumped me when I contacted them, so now I guess I would really like to be confident .

The origional colour was supposed to be manderine red. but she has had several re-sprays now and I could not confirm that under the body she was.
    I could not understand why the plates would have been removed, and must say don't like that too much
    How can you tell??

The vin will be below. Thank you for your help and knowledge.
    I cant check at this moment the roof linning situation, but am 99% sure the hooks are there, although linning was removed for resto purposes.

Are the earlier pictures clear enough for you? What other details would you need to be 99% 100% sure?
    Attachment 6565
    It was originally Mandarin red (pronounced man-dar-in, not man-de-rin (as in the fruit or chinese language) as people often mistakenly call it).
    It is obvious plates have been off, rivets are all wrong.
    Vin, Body and chassis numbers all pretty much go together, although the chassis number is a fraction out of sequence with what i'd have expected (i'd have expected it to be 1000 numbers higher), but nothing really out of the norm.
    Pictures are fine.
    There is no way I can be 100% sure it is a Sandman. I'm about 90% confident the ID plates were off a Pagewood assembled Sandman, but without inspecting the body up close there is no way to tell for sure it is a Sandman body. If it is a Sandman body it'll have attachment steelwork for the full headlining plus factory HJ console brackets, but without seeing these up close it is impossible to tell. Pictures don't really help all that much, they'll just show the stuff is there not that it was there originally.

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Ah yes, but chezzabeer stated that Holden told her it was a genuine Belmont and I was just pointing this out for the OP.
    Funny isn't it? Holden stating that a HJ is a genuine Belmont van. When for starters it isn't. And if it was, that is the only type of HJ van anyway, so ALL HJ vans would be genuine Belmonts!

Learner Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    It was originally Mandarin red (pronounced man-dar-in, not man-de-rin (as in the fruit or chinese language) as people often mistakenly call it).
    Vin, Body and chassis numbers all pretty much go together, although the chassis number is a fraction out of sequence with what i'd have expected (i'd have expected it to be 1000 numbers higher), but nothing really out of the norm.
    Pictures are fine

There is no way I can be 100% sure it is a Sandman. I'm about 90% confident the ID plates were off a Pagewood assembled Sandman, but without inspecting the body up close there is no way to tell for sure it is a Sandman body. If it is a Sandman body it'll have attachment steelwork for the full headlining plus factory HJ console brackets, but without seeing these up close it is impossible to tell. Pictures don't really help all that much, they'll just show the stuff is there not that it was there originally.

--- Updated ---

Funny isn't it? Holden stating that a HJ is a genuine Belmont van. When for starters it isn't. And if it was, that is the only type of HJ van anyway, so ALL HJ vans would be genuine Belmonts!

Thankyou so much for your time to look into it and explain.
    At the end of the day I am still none the wiser. Guess I can honestly say to my knowledge it is a genuine Sandman!! ( or appears to be) without being 100% I cant believe how difficult it is to find info, Is there any way I can track previous owners?
    The prevoius owner had told me he met the origional 1st buyer who confirmed it was a Sandman he said he bought it up in Brisbane, which would seem weird if there is a factory up there to be an Adelaide build? would it not??

is there any one in Tassie who may be able to assit me to with the vrification of the console bracket?

GMH said it was a belmont/build body from the plates and that was the only Authnticity they could give me unless it had the XX7 or Xu3 stamp then they would still not give actual authenticity, but rather a letter saying these numbers correspond with the Sandman theyalso said that holden didnt actually decide which vans would be sandmans, that that was up to the dealers.

Who ever knew it could be so hard The belmont thing is confusing too. Do we all own HJ belmont Sandies???? LOL Jeesh! I just thought they were HJ's blonde I know,....... I can hear you men all laughing now.

--- Updated ---

Pictures are fine

--- Updated ---

At the end of the day I am still none the wiser. Guess I can honestly say to my knowledge it is a genuine Sandman!! ( or appears to be) without being 100% I cant believe how difficult it is to find info, Is there any way I can track previous owners?
    The prevoius owner had told me he met the origional 1st buyer who confirmed it was a Sandman he said he bought it up in Brisbane, which would seem weird if there is a factory up there to be an Adelaide build? would it not??

is there any one in Tassie who may be able to assit me to with the vrification of the console bracket?

GMH said it was a belmont/build body from the plates and that was the only Authnticity they could give me unless it had the XX7 or Xu3 stamp then they would still not give actual authenticity, but rather a letter saying these numbers correspond with the Sandman theyalso said that holden didnt actually decide which vans would be sandmans, that that was up to the dealers.

Who ever knew it could be so hard The belmont thing is confusing too. Do we all own HJ belmont Sandies???? LOL Jeesh! I just thought they were HJ's blonde I know,....... I can hear you men all laughing now.

Putting aside whether it is or isn't a genuine Sandman. It 100% isn't a Belmont. Holden did not make any Belmonts in the HJ series. What they did make was a Holden Panel Van. The Belmont name was dropped for the HJ series.

Sandman Guru
    Just to make it more confusing, Belmont was dropped from commercials, but you could still buy a Belmont sedan or Wagon in HJ and HX!

--- Updated ---

As I said, ignore what Holden are telling you. They have no idea, none of them were there at the time. It is a different Company now. Just look at the dribble they are telling you that dealers decided which were Sandmans and which weren't!

Don't worry about the Belmont thing. HQ vans were all Belmonts, HJ they are just called Holden panel vans. So the commercial model lineup in HJ was:

HJ Holden cab chassis.
    HJ Holden utility.
    HJ Holden panel van
    HJ Kingswood utility.

The Sandman package was a special vehicle package optioned on any of the utes or vans (just not on cab chassis). Just like you can buy a Thunder ute today that is an option pack on an SV6 or SS ute, that is how the Sandman package worked in HJ (ie optioned on Holden or Kingswood ute or Holden van). There were other special vehicle packages available too, they just aren't as well known as Sandman. A few examples are XU4 (passenger tyres on a commercial), B06 (Ambulance pack), XW5 (outback pack) to name a few.

There were other special vehicle packages available too, they just aren't as well known as Sandman. A few examples are XU4 (passenger tyres on a commercial), B06 (Ambulance pack), XW5 (outback pack) to name a few.
    So my B06 is also known as a "Sandman".
    WooHoo.
    I finally have it in print that Byron said so.
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

Agro
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by agr071 View Post
    So my B06 is also known as a "Sandman".
    WooHoo.
    I finally have it in print that Byron said so.
    Huh? What have you been drinking or smoking Agro?

I enjoy twisting Byron's words!!

Sandman Guru
    Hehe. Agro, I think you did more than twist. You must have removed words or added some!

There were other special vehicle packages available too, they just aren't as well known as Sandman. A few examples are XU4 (passenger tyres on a commercial), B06 (Ambulance pack), XW5 (outback pack) to name a few.
    I wouldn't do that!!!

Thread Information