Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I am so confused HJ Sandman

Learner Driver

I am so confused HJ Sandman

O.K. I bought my van, limited time didn't check plates.
    The guy assures me she is genuine I trust his word. at the time I felt it didnt matter genuine or not I was in love.... however now I just want to clarify, I hate the thought of telling people she is if in fact she isnt :-( and more especially for insurance purposes.

I contacted GMH, to check and all they can Authenticate is that she is a genuine Belmont body/build LOL and tell me to look for the three XX7, XU3 or XY5 (the latter I have yet to see mentioned in these forums) on my plate and if I have any of those I can be sure!! LOL
    OH dear devestation.... none of those

After reading the forums I am soo confused. If I understand corectly the compliance plates were only stamped with these codes at the Brisbane factory? And if some are made with out the stamping why cant the holden hotline tell me that?

So my question, Is it possible my girl is actually Genuine without that stamping?
    I really hope you guys can help clear my total confusion.

Will include plates now and any further info/pics required

Thanks in advance
    ~Cheryle~

2012-08-09_14-48-29_433.jpg2012-08-09_14-49-00_189(1).jpg

It's a rockin'
    xx7 is a brisbane thing your plate is a bit hard to read but it looks like it was built in adelaide so it wont have xx7 stamped on it, HJ sandman bodies were unique so it should have a full roof lining (no other HJ vans had this ) if the rooflining is missing then it should have the attachments for one hope that helps

Sandman Guru
    It could be, but you can't pick a HJ from the plates. 1950kg GVW means it was most likely an XX7 Sandman but not necessarily. Holden have no idea, don't bother with them. XX7 or XU3 will only appear on Acacia Ridge build BODY plate, yours is Elizabeth (Adelaide) body assembly so it won't have any special vehicle package codes. XY5 is the option code for white stripes on HQ-HJ and never appears on plates.

Also, the ID plates have obviously been off the car so just because the tags were originally on a Sandman doesn't mean the body they are on now was one. Can you post up or send me a photo of the VIN plate, and i'll check that they all belong together?
    Last edited by HK1837; 28-09-2012 at 08:56 AM.

19V trim code on a 'Belmont' van is another good pointer - but HK1837 will probably send you a private message to clarify a few things for you.

HJ's were never badged as BELMONT.

Of course you all already knew this!

--- Updated ---

Looks like it was Mandarin Red with Black trim.

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    HJ's were never badged as BELMONT.

Of course you all already knew this!

--- Updated ---

Looks like it was Mandarin Red with Black trim.
    That's why I put the word 'Belmont' in parenthesis, otherwise typing Holden or non Kingswood would probably not be clear to the OP.

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Blocker View Post
    19V trim code on a 'Belmont' van is another good pointer - but HK1837 will probably send you a private message to clarify a few things for you.
    Trim codes don't mean anything on HJ Blocker. 19V is the standard black trim for a buckets seat HJ Belmont sedan or wagon or Holden ute, van or tonner.

Learner Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    It could be, but you can't pick a HJ from the plates. 1950kg GVW means it was most likely an XX7 Sandman but not necessarily. Holden have no idea, don't bother with them. XX7 or XU3 will only appear on Acacia Ridge build BODY plate, yours is Elizabeth (Adelaide) body assembly so it won't have any special vehicle package codes. XY5 is the option code for white stripes on HQ-HJ and never appears on plates.

Also, the ID plates have obviously been off the car so just because the tags were originally on a Sandman doesn't mean the body they are on now was one. Can you post up or send me a photo of the VIN plate, and i'll check that they all belong together?
    Thank you [MENTION=225]HK1837[/MENTION]
    All info I have read points at yes, but GMH totally stumped me when I contacted them, so now I guess I would really like to be confident .

The origional colour was supposed to be manderine red. but she has had several re-sprays now and I could not confirm that under the body she was.
    I could not understand why the plates would have been removed, and must say don't like that too much
    How can you tell??

The vin will be below. Thank you for your help and knowledge.
    I cant check at this moment the roof linning situation, but am 99% sure the hooks are there, although linning was removed for resto purposes.

Are the earlier pictures clear enough for you? What other details would you need to be 99% 100% sure?
    2012-08-09_14-49-09_75.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Blocker View Post
    That's why I put the word 'Belmont' in parenthesis, otherwise typing Holden or non Kingswood would probably not be clear to the OP.
    Ah yes, but chezzabeer stated that Holden told her it was a genuine Belmont and I was just pointing this out for the OP.

Good call. I missed that paragraph

Thread Information