Thread: HOWTO video requests.

P Plater

HOWTO video requests.

This thread is being started to provide a thread to request the creation of HOWTO videos.

I will start the ball rolling with a request of my own.

I have very pitted mirrors on my GTS STYLE Mirrors. I would love to see a video on how to successfully replace the mirror.

If anyone has completed jobs then please post a link to a video or provide a detailed HOWTO documentation so someone who is not camera shy can create a video.

I have created the mirror replacement documentation tonight. If someone can make a video for the forum that would be grand.

Cheers ,

Peter
    Last edited by HZ1178; 05-09-2012 at 11:05 PM.

P Plater
    This is part one of the mirror restoration process.

1.jpg

The gear you need. Thinners, Syringe with fine needle, Paint scraper (Flat large blade) and the mirror.

2.jpg

Step One : View from underside of mirror. Push top of mirror to expose the under side of the cup housing. It is far easier to work from this angle.

3.jpg

Step Two: Keeping the mirror horizontal at all times to avoid drips on your paintwork. Use the syringe to carefully drip thinners onto the cup housing that attaches the mirror. Let it work down and around edges of the cup. Repeat this process up to 4 times depending on size of syringe.
    This will soften the glue (allow around 5 minutes to penetrate)

4.jpg

Step Three: Test the softness of the glue with the edge of the paint scraper. If you can get an edge in successfully try gradually for the full blade.

5.jpg

Step four: Insert full blade and gently prise off the mirror , if resistance is felt STOP and repeat STEP TWO until glue is soft to avoid breaking the mirror (for you superstitious types)

6.jpg

Step five: The view of the removed mirror.

For re-assembly I used a hot glue gun placing hot glue at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'cock on the mounting plate. Gently placing replacement mirrors (Rare spares) onto hot glue and evenly positioning. Leave to set 24 hrs before use.

I hope this answers a few questions.
    Last edited by HZ1178; 14-09-2012 at 08:08 PM.

Thread Information