Thread: Tailshaft and Yoke

Cruiser

Tailshaft and Yoke

Can anyone tell me the correct end the yoke goes back on the tailshaft , is it the narrow or bigger end, a friend put some new uni s on for me and put the yoke on the big end but I think it may have gone the other way around??

It'll only go together one way mate. The bigger end is the yoke. Just make sure the circlips are in tight against the inside faces of the yoke and shaft.

Regards,
    Dave
    Nunc est bibendum...

Cruiser
    Thanks Dave

Quote Originally Posted by hj308 View Post
    Thanks Dave
    Actually, sorry to post again but (reading your original post again) my answer was correct for TH400 shafts that have a larger uni at one end and a smaller one at the other. Was that what you were referring to? If you're referring to a shaft that has a reduced diameter in it (with same size unis at each end) I have to say I don't know the answer to that one sorry.

Dave.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Quote Originally Posted by Taily View Post
    It'll only go together one way mate. The bigger end is the yoke. Just make sure the circlips are in tight against the inside faces of the yoke and shaft.

Regards,
    Dave
    dave ive seen them put on back to front many times..unis are the same at each end unless its a t400 shaft ..so they can be back to front..

hahahaha..just saw your other post...sorry...but answer is large end of tailshaft to gearbox and narrow end to diff..

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by hj308 View Post
    Can anyone tell me the correct end the yoke goes back on the tailshaft , is it the narrow or bigger end, a friend put some new uni s on for me and put the yoke on the big end but I think it may have gone the other way around??
    he has done it the right way.

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Taily View Post
    Actually, sorry to post again but (reading your original post again) my answer was correct for TH400 shafts that have a larger uni at one end and a smaller one at the other. Was that what you were referring to? If you're referring to a shaft that has a reduced diameter in it (with same size unis at each end) I have to say I don't know the answer to that one sorry.

Dave.
    Dave, not totally correct. 308 TH400 shafts have 1.125" and 1" unis at opposite ends but 350 TH400 have 1.125" at both ends.

Cheers Greg and Byron, I've learned something new from both of you. I'm not overly familiar with chevs.

Regards,

Dave.
    Last edited by Taily; 02-09-2012 at 09:27 AM.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Sandman Guru
    The 350 TH400 HQ Statesman shafts are relatively common too as so many were made and have been wrecked for engine & box. Nowhere near as easy to find as HJ-HZ with 308 and TH400 in LWB (Stato, wagon, ute and van) but they do appear enough to stuff you up when you go to use one!

Thread Information