Thread: Hoodlining instalation help please

Queensland formally of ACT Formally of NT.

Hoodlining instalation help please

I've got the shits too much to search.

Can anyone who has installed a ute hoodlining please try and describe the process to me please.
    In return I will describe the process of getting a new hoodlining dirty and stained with blood from my fu&87n cut fingers and as an added bonus i will let you in on a few new phrases which feature a very popular F word and some other words that I wont even describe here.
    Can you tell I've had a very unproductive day off?
    thanks,
    Cameron.
    Nah, I'm just driving around looking for someone with licence.

Oh Cameron, such a plea needs a response. Over to the boss. [MENTION=711]Q set[/MENTION] says...

Remembering the panno that we did last.... and the ute many years ago..... a few tips that I recall. ; have your lining a little bit warm so its more flexible and easier to work. Same goes for that front plastic strip, making sure it locks in the moulding well. Give yourself a centre mark front and back on the liner that you can check that things are going up straight. Have your bows all 'falling' forward when you are tensioning up the liner (pulling the liner back and thus having the bows stand up ). The summer heat will pull your lining up taut once in. I was stressing on some loose wrinkles around the curve of the roof onto the B pillars in the van, but a few warm weeks and these disappeared plus the whole lining tensioned up as well. Feel out your screw holes (belt hangers), when everything is up and secure, with a fine needle if you cant feel them under your fingers. Probably best advice is to have a second person on hand to pass you all the bits that are out of reach on the shed floor. ... oh, and use a really sharp knife for final trim ups.... there's my two bob.

What I remember... being the tool passer... is to have lots of clamps on hand to use as extra hands and to hold different sides tight.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by QUP View Post
    Oh Cameron, such a plea needs a response. Over to the boss. [MENTION=711]Q set[/MENTION] says...

Remembering the panno that we did last.... and the ute many years ago..... a few tips that I recall. ; have your lining a little bit warm so its more flexible and easier to work. Same goes for that front plastic strip, making sure it locks in the moulding well. Give yourself a centre mark front and back on the liner that you can check that things are going up straight. Have your bows all 'falling' forward when you are tensioning up the liner (pulling the liner back and thus having the bows stand up ). The summer heat will pull your lining up taut once in. I was stressing on some loose wrinkles around the curve of the roof onto the B pillars in the van, but a few warm weeks and these disappeared plus the whole lining tensioned up as well. Feel out your screw holes (belt hangers), when everything is up and secure, with a fine needle if you cant feel them under your fingers. Probably best advice is to have a second person on hand to pass you all the bits that are out of reach on the shed floor. ... oh, and use a really sharp knife for final trim ups.... there's my two bob.

What I remember... being the tool passer... is to have lots of clamps on hand to use as extra hands and to hold different sides tight.

Good luck.
    Awesome advice there. By "clamps" could I suggest those "alligator" type black paper spring clips. They work a treat for this.

Dave.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Thanks but do I clamp and glue to the front metal strip when it's screwed in then fold the front of the lining over it and push the plastic strip on? If so how the hell do I keep it straight?

then once it's glued do I do the back?

thanks for the help.

Laminex glue or contact adhesive along edges etc is a good way don't put it on thick but coat both surfaces wait untill it is tacky dry .this can pulled of the glue and reglued several times to get everything in the right place and tight

I thick you can thin the glue a little with thinner outer wise as above with q set

I sure we put a line off glue on the bottom edge of the front strip Trimmed the lining later and fold around ready for the front rubber trim later, remember you can carefully pull it of the contact and reglued without adding more glue

In some areas we would of refitted the lining 3 to 4 times

I'am no expert at this job only an assistant

Clamps are also a help to get the initial position

Great advise from q up
    Make position of belt holes, light ,mirror and sun vissors
    Last edited by RodneyHZ253; 29-08-2012 at 07:20 AM.
    HZ jasmine yellow sandman van
    HZ Madeira red sandman van (now sold to bigrob)
    HX mandarin red sandman ute
    HZ malachite green sandman van
    Married to Jennie285

Thanks for the replies, while the advice was good the important thing was that you inspired me to give it another go.
    Yes Rodney I glued the lining to the bottom of the silver strip at the front and once dried I trimmed it and tucked it in before installing the rubber strip.
    The hint about leaving the bows forward was a good one too.
    What a prick of a job though, hope to never do it again. Actually I seem to remember saying the same thing when I put a hoodlining in my RX2, bugger I wish I had a better memory.
    Now all I have to do is clean the blood of it.
    Now for the back window and the rest of the interior.
    thanks again to those that offered advice.

rod lining.jpg

Old bits of pinch weld are useful too. This photo is one taken by my wife's cousin (who is nuts about his old Celicas) while installing one in his RA22 a few months ago. Same principle applies.

Regards,

Dave.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Don't leave much of the hood lining sticking up on the out side and top of the back window because wasn't alot of coverage of the window rubber at the top yet my rear window was very tight on the sides
    HZ jasmine yellow sandman van
    HZ Madeira red sandman van (now sold to bigrob)
    HX mandarin red sandman ute
    HZ malachite green sandman van
    Married to Jennie285

Thread Information