Thread: HQ/HJ 308 choke setup

HQ/HJ 308 choke setup

Hi guys, Ive got another question that i need help with. On the hq/hj the choke setup on the side of the inlet manifold has two pipes that go to the drivers exhaust manifold. one which has the heat braid on it goes from the choke to the drivers side exhaust manifold. but the other pipe (non Insulated) goes from the drivers side exhaust manifold then up towards the air filter, it has a short flexable pipe at the end. I need to know where that flexable pipe goes. in the diagram it seems to go up somewhere near the air cleaner but its not real clear. Can anyone help?? thanks Mark

Are you talking about the stove pipe which is normally on the passenger side? It is about 45mm round and about 6-7 inches long? I got your PM and will send the scans you needed but wont be home to do that until friday. The only one I remember seeing on the drivers side was the insulated one you spoke of that attaches directly to the choke mechanism on the carby as the bi-metal strip/springs heat source.

The stove pipe connects to the underside of the aircleaner snout to draw warmer air only during warm-up to make for a more stable idle/quicker choke release.

Dave.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Hi dave, great if u can send that out i would much appreciate it. No not talking about the flexy one on the snout, there is two pipes on the drivers side, one is the shielded one that u said that screws directly onto choke mechanism then goes down between the exhaust manifold and pushes in underneath on exhaust, but there is also a non insulated steel pipe that also joins into the drivers side exhaust manifold underneath then comes up and heads towards what looks like the top of the carby with about a six inch flexible tube. If u look in the parts manual it shows u but its not clear where the flexible pipe pushes onto (manifold or air cleaner)

Sandman Guru
    It goes to a fitting on the underside of the aircleaner on a 308, basicaly directly above the auto choke mech on the manifold when the aircleaner is fitted to the carb. On a 253 there is a fitting out the top of the carby on the firewall side.

So Byron is the fitting basic or is it a special part that does something, or can i weld a pipe on the air cleaner for it to push on to? What does that pipe actually do?

Sandman Guru
    It is just a piece of pipe brazed to the aircleaner, so that filtered air goes into the carb, not dusty cr@p sucked from the engine bay. All HT-HJ and LH-6/76 LX 308's will have it on the aircleaner.

Ok, correct me if i'm wrong, so the filtered air gets sucked down the pipe under the air cleaner then through the heated pipe in the drivers side exhaust manifold then the heated air goes up the pipe with the heat shielding on it which in turn heats the element in the choke mechanism and the remainder of the filtered air is drawn into the inlet manifold through the small hole that is in the choke mechanism. Is that confusing enough!!

Quote Originally Posted by locodriver2007 View Post
    Ok, correct me if i'm wrong, so the filtered air gets sucked down the pipe under the air cleaner then through the heated pipe in the drivers side exhaust manifold then the heated air goes up the pipe with the heat shielding on it which in turn heats the element in the choke mechanism and the remainder of the filtered air is drawn into the inlet manifold through the small hole that is in the choke mechanism. Is that confusing enough!!
    In one breath yes!!!

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by locodriver2007 View Post
    Correct.

Great now i understand how it works and where everything goes. Gee i tell u its alot harder building a car back to original specs, there is so many different changes in the models, even the HJ on its own has so many changes in the two years they were built. Anyway thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated. mark

Thread Information