Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 post hoists

Learner Driver

2 post hoists

Has any body had any experience with import 2 post hoists (as like advertised in just parts/cars)
    wondering on quality, or if theres an ozzie made hoist that wont cut too deep.

looking forward to hearing some opinions. will be much appreciated

cheers

P Plater

hoist

Gday i recently helped my brother in law condcrete his 2 post hoist in shed . Im not sure of the brand but i know its chinese or of that style / quality single phaze 2 post . He would have done his research im sure , he said it could lift loaded 200 series cruisers which are heavy as . It was $1800 no dramas so far works a treat not as fast as a molnar or the like but half the price ....

Sandman Guru
    My used Molnar was about $2000 installed. I reckon that is heaps better value than a Chinese made thing, especially when you are under it!

Here's one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CAR-HOIST...item4abae335ad
    Last edited by HK1837; 20-08-2012 at 10:24 AM.

i wont be doing another chinese job...got mine dirt cheap second hand in a deal with lotsa other stuff and have had to replace both hydraulic lines and also had it spit out the release switch while a car was on it...lucky the locks worked and it was a scrap car that i got off the hoist with a forklift...spare parts not available in country..8 week wait so i told the importer what i thought of his after sales parts availability...luckily i have an old retired engineer i know and he fixed the switch for 150 bucks as against the 750 bucks for the unavailable switch with motor assembly...brand is nht development company china and distributor is superhoist in australia..

Learner Driver
    thanks hk, oz and luke. much appreciated
    thats enough bad press to walk away. 2:1 odds and im not a betting man.. haha
    has anyone converted a 3 phase to a single phase motor on a molner hoist? might have to do some research on motors. 3hp 10amp plug single phase seams to be the norm on all my saws etc (available and cheap) and pretty sure hoist is 4 hp 3 phase, but im assuming with 15 or 20 amp outlet i should be able to get a 4hp 1 phase. maybe....
    (cant get 3 phase at home for under 50k, maybe more, and thats a lot of mechanics bills or a diesel genset for hoist and a new toy....

appreciate the feedback in advance.

I have a Radum branded hoist which is Chinese made. It was $2200 and so far has been bulletproof? Myself and a mate did a bit to make sure it was installed spot on and I also spent a few hours fine tuning it. Molnar make excellent hoists but I know of a few guys that have imported hoists that are quite reliable. At the end of the day if you are using it all the time ( day in day out) obviosuly buy a trade quality version. If you are using it on weekends etc then a more economical unit may do the job. Hope this helps?
    HQ PANELVAN 308 SANDMAN '74'
    HQ UTE 173 '72'
    HQ SEDAN STATESMAN 308 '74'
    HJ SEDAN PREMIER 253 '75'

Learner Driver
    we sevice hoists at work, the molnar are the pick but there are a lot of bendpak housts getting around these days. just stay away from the screw type ones, always seam to hae issues. not many around these days.

8 weeks ago I purchased and installed a 4 post wild boar the company was good to deal with during the sale and delivery and the hoist went together ok and works fine .they are certainly imported and the price reflects that .it look very much like the radium on display at the sydney all holden day only different colour hasn't been used much but works fine

I think it was $3200 for hoist plus delivery they also have 2post hoist
    for storage of a car and minor works I couldn't justify the cost of an Australian made hoist
    Time will tell
    HZ jasmine yellow sandman van
    HZ Madeira red sandman van (now sold to bigrob)
    HX mandarin red sandman ute
    HZ malachite green sandman van
    Married to Jennie285

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MHT862 View Post
    thanks hk, oz and luke. much appreciated
    thats enough bad press to walk away. 2:1 odds and im not a betting man.. haha
    has anyone converted a 3 phase to a single phase motor on a molner hoist? might have to do some research on motors. 3hp 10amp plug single phase seams to be the norm on all my saws etc (available and cheap) and pretty sure hoist is 4 hp 3 phase, but im assuming with 15 or 20 amp outlet i should be able to get a 4hp 1 phase. maybe....
    (cant get 3 phase at home for under 50k, maybe more, and thats a lot of mechanics bills or a diesel genset for hoist and a new toy....

appreciate the feedback in advance.
    A 4hp (3kW) 240V motor will pull somewhere between 13-15A at 240V single phase, so you will get away with it but at startup the voltage drop will be possibly a bit high so you might see a dip on your system. One of these motors will be around $500 for a new one. Here is a flange connected 240V 1 phase for reference:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-2KW-4-P...item48406936f1

I just had a look at my Molnar, it is 2.2kW 3phase flange motor, I forget to look at the number of poles though but it is STAR connected which is good news. Have a look at the one you are looking at getting and see if the motor is connected in STAR or DELTA. If it is STAR, you can reconfigure the connection to DELTA and use one of these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-2KW-VSD...item41697d8e51

You just set it up as a dumb drive. Once the motor is connected in DELTA it will be a 240V 3 phase motor (they are 415V in STAR normally). The VSD will also ramp up the voltage to the motor, not DOL it, so the shock on your 240V system won't be as high.

Here is an even dumber one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Single-th...item3cc9733cf8

Also watch the shaft power once they are in DELTA 240V, as they are limited to 75%.

If you have to change the motor, just check the speed on the current one. 2 pole is approx 3000rpm, 4 pole is approx 1500rpm, 6 pole is 1000rpm. Go to a few motor repair places, they might be able to fix you up with a good secondhand one. You should still be able to use the same controller on the hoist, I think all the controls are 240V anyway, you'd have to check. They may be 415V single phase too but I don't think so. From memory it is just a contactor in a box and you press a button on the front which operates the contactor manually. It'd just need a check as to the top and bottom limits and how they are setup to stop the pump.

Learner Driver
    funny timing.

just talked to a sparky mate of mine and he has done a 3 phase to 1 phase conversion. he cant remember which brand (it was a while ago he said) but the owner fitted new motor and he had to change the whole control box to suit. conversion cost old mate nearly 2k with everything plus cost of hoist. had a look at the vsd on ebay and my opinion is that would definately be the easy option and lowest cost for sure(told him the price of vsd and he said they were triple that last time he fitted one). so in conclusion i think when i find a suitable second hand molnar close to home (hopefully 2k ish) plus max 1k for conversion thats for me. equivelant price to chinese cheers.

very much appreciate tthe feedback. hope this helps some others as well.

Thread Information